How can I make something like this?

1964   5   0
3 posts
I want to make this effect in houdini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj0rZe0qMMU [www.youtube.com]

what I tried

I tried to calculate distance and scatter point but as I noob I couldn't make like attached effect

I need a way to distort hexagon shapes

Edited by smkplus3d - June 29, 2019 02:28:34
46 posts
Hi there. Can you please specify which part of the simulation you would like to build, or parts of it you are having trouble with? Then we might have a better time helping you out. Thanks.
Procedural Girl
2036 posts
If you want concentric deforming hexagons…this could be a start.

Attachments:
Deforming Hexagons.hiplc (1.3 MB)

3 posts
Kate Xagoraris
Hi there. Can you please specify which part of the simulation you would like to build, or parts of it you are having trouble with? Then we might have a better time helping you out. Thanks.

I need a way to draw distorted hexagon shapes

something like this

3 posts
BabaJ
If you want concentric deforming hexagons…this could be a start.

great job man!
you rock!
this is exactly what I'm looking for!

is there a way to connect shapes? because hexagons are separate

I think It's possible with hexagonal Ripple on grid
Edited by smkplus3d - June 29, 2019 04:05:57
2036 posts
I had another look at your reference image because I was thinking the same ( how to connect the hexagons.)

But also, in your reference image the entire topology seems to follow a distorted sphere.

One approach was to use the mountain sop on a distorted sphere and then with some vex write the same hex to circle approach as it spans out across the surface.

I didn't do that. I felt it was going to take too much time as I'm working on other stuff.

But one way to fudge it is perhaps like I did with the different hex examples is use just the one distorted sphere and project a number of the hexes and using a curve sop with snap to points, fill in the gaps?

The following hip contains an embedded asset(under TAB menu Digitial Assets > Concentric Hexes) so you can populate the sphere with hexagons at different locations. Look at the controls tab of the asset so you can adjust where on the sphere the hexes project.

And as I just mentioned, just use curve sops to fill in the ‘gaps’.

As a point of refinement - I don't like how each copy iteration is scaling the size based on previous size. I would perhaps use my own method in for loop blocks to define the scaling per iteration.
Edited by BabaJ - June 29, 2019 12:09:43

Attachments:
Deforming Hexagons v1.hiplc (1.4 MB)

• Quick Links