How to create UV on VDB converted polygon mesh

6801   4   4
22 posts
Hi guys,
I'm recently stucked into this problem… i can't really figure out a solution.

I'm trying to create UVs on an animated geometry, creted by a vdb convert node.
My setup is something like this.

- i create an animation with vellum hair (i need these hairs to be the source of my vdb polygon)
- vdb from particles on that hairs
- vdb convert into polygon

I atatched a jpg

Obviously, every frame the polycount change and also the UV. Results: the entire UV for the animated geo is a mess.

I guess i should create the uv on the hairs, or something like this, before the animation starts… am i right?

If someone could show me a solution i'll be really greatefull.

Thaks

Attachments:
uv problem.jpg (786.1 KB)

806 posts
Moin,

without knowing more details about the scenario, it's probably hard to suggest “the solution”. However, I assume that the main problem is “sticking the UV to kind of the same places on the mesh” to avoid “flicker” or moving texture.

The general approach I would try to take is have “control points” on the original setup that you “track” over the range of the animation/simulation - e.g. by finding nearest points to re-establish the control points. Then recreate the UV based on those control points from a deformed “reference mesh” (or cage mesh) (maybe doing a from-camera-projection?).

On the same idea, if you are rendering for 2d (movie) anyway, you could actually get away with doing a frame-by-frame texture projection. That would break if you have to render for 3d.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
130 posts
Hey Dude,
I think there is no way u can create perfect uvs for this, but here is a cheat, u can create a grid with uvs and deform it along with the vellum wires and then transfer the uvs from the animated grid to the vdb mesh, I have attached a hip file, I Hope that might help.

Best,
Edited by Mohanpugaz - July 24, 2019 04:55:04

Attachments:
stickUV.hip (533.8 KB)

Mohan Pugaz
movfx
https://www.instagram.com/movfx/ [www.instagram.com]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/@_movfx
1 posts
Hi Mohan

Thanks for the above solution though it didn't solve my problem but gave me another idea by which it got solved.

Hope u doing great! See u after pandemic

Cheers!!
20 posts
AshwinFX
Hi Mohan

Thanks for the above solution though it didn't solve my problem but gave me another idea by which it got solved.

Hope u doing great! See u after pandemic

Cheers!!

Hi!

I'm having the same problem, how did you solve it?
Mage level 2
www.headofoliver.com
  • Quick Links