How to rig a robot arm?

3393   9   2
225 posts
I have seen tutorials on how to rig and deform a character mesh, but none on how to rig a robot arm made of separate parts.

In Maya this is done by parenting the separate parts to bones, which do not deform the separate mesh parts.

How is this type of rig set up in Houdini? Are joints also used?

Links to tutorials would help.
118 posts
Hi @litote do you have an image of what you are trying to rig? Maybe a description of what you want to robot arm to do?

Glen
Staff
3455 posts
litote
In Maya this is done by parenting the separate parts to bones, which do not deform the separate mesh parts.

you can do the exact same thing in Houdini
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
225 posts
@GlenD

It is just a mechanical robot arm like those in a car factory. I would also like to use the technique to animate a human skeleton as I don't want to deform the bones, just rotate them at the elbow, etc.

@golfarb: Can you explain a simple setup for an arm? How do you parent the arm/forearm to the bones? I can't find any tutorials on this.
Staff
3455 posts
on the Characters shelf tab there is a simple biped
click it to add it to the scene
RMB and select Allow Editing of Contents

go inside the HDA and you'll see how the geometry is simply parented to the bones
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
225 posts
goldfarb
on the Characters shelf tab there is a simple biped
click it to add it to the scene
RMB and select Allow Editing of Contents

go inside the HDA and you'll see how the geometry is simply parented to the bones

Hello,

I have an old version of Houdini. I can't find this example. Is it in H13?
Staff
3455 posts
er…I can't remember…
at the Object level try:
TAB > simple
and see what pops up
you really should update to a later version….
Edited by goldfarb - July 29, 2019 10:56:53
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
190 posts
Well, it's extremely old, but you'll learn a lot on how to approach this, and its 3DBuzz's Houdini Technical Rigging series:
https://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/houdini-rigging-volume-5/advanced-vehicle-rigging [www.3dbuzz.com]
225 posts
@ RudiNieuwenhuis:

Thanks for the link. I will look in to that.
1 posts
RudiNieuwenhuis
Well, it's extremely old, but you'll learn a lot on how to approach this, and its 3DBuzz's Houdini Technical Rigging series:
https://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/houdini-rigging-volume-5/advanced-vehicle-rigging [www.3dbuzz.com]

I'm trying to work through this tutorial. The original page doesn't work, but there is a 3D Buzz page that has the various .zip files of the videos. However, it doesn't have the .hip or .bgeo files mentioned in the tutorial for the actual vehicle.

Does anyone have these?
  • Quick Links