FlipSim + 3dsmax + Vray + Rest Position Attribute?

1932   3   1
31 posts
Hello,

I see that Maya has 2d/3d texture placement. Which can use the Rest Attributes from Houdini;

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAYA/Placement+Attributes [docs.chaosgroup.com]

“n cases where the geometry is a VRayProxy reading a .vrmesh or .abc (Alembic) file(s), the UV set field can be used to specify custom attributes coming in with the proxy. One of the most common use-cases is to read Rest Position attributes from Alembic files coming in from Houdini to make 3D textures follow the object deformation.”

Does anyone know if this exists for 3dsmax/Vray?

Thank you.
39 posts
I've figured out a workflow for this with Redshift that works in Houdini and C4D, but it's tricky! Not sure if the same approach will work with VrayProxy in Max. Since you're talking about a FLIP sim that has different topology per-frame that makes it much more challenging.
Your best bet would be to add UV's to your FLIP source points, transfer those back to the FLIP mesh, then export with Alembic. That should work regardless.
–Dave
31 posts
Appreciate the response Dave. Very much so.

Example;

a poly Grid branches off into a scatter points and a uv texture.

Attribute Transfer UVs from grid to the scatter points..

use those scatter points with UV for the particles to be sourced for the flip sim

add the UV attribute for the particle to surface node.

It should be retained for exporting to abc?

Now, if I view the UV channel, should I just see… a mess of things or no? As its just assigning UV data to points…? Or would it look like the rough shape of the fluid from the top down? I can't quite grasp how UV's would look on fluid. Im familiar for hard objects…

thanks again for the help.
39 posts
As long as your UV's are working on your source object, you can transfer them to your FLIP points then back to the meshed fluid. Seams are a challenge, so best to avoid those if possible.
Ideally your UV's would appear similar to the source UV's but with changing topology per frame. It helps to add some smoothing to the UV's too as they can tend to jitter quite a bit.
Have you tried checking your FLIP mesh with a UV Quickshade before exporting to ABC? You may also need to promote the UV's back to Vertex instead of Points.
Do you have an example file that we can crack open to look for problems?
–Dave
  • Quick Links