File Reader / loader Loading highest incremented file automatically?

1331   5   2
403 posts
Is there a way to force Houdini to always load (or at least upon clicking “reload”) the last (highest) incremented Alembic / Fbx (or any geo file) automatically? Like a little string after the file name pointing at the highest incremented number.

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - Aug. 20, 2019 11:09:06
7737 posts
The definition of ‘highest’ is probably not a very consistent concept among users. Studio pipelines generally use a database for this sort of thing.

It sounds like you want a script to look at the path and parse out a version number and then glob for files that are in the same folder, grabbing the highest found. The typical way is with python in a shelf script, but it can also be put into module used by a button's callback that is added to the permanent defaults for the read nodes.
Edited by jsmack - Aug. 20, 2019 15:04:12
403 posts
jsmack
The definition of ‘highest’ is probably not a very consistent concept among users. Studio pipelines generally use a database for this sort of thing.

It sounds like you want a script to look at the path and parse out a version number and then glob for files that are in the same folder, grabbing the highest found. The typical way is with python in a shelf script, but it can also be put into module used by a button's callback that is added to the permanent defaults for the read nodes.

Thanks. I was digging in the topic after reading a post on facebook, someone had issues overwriting Alembics when they are in use in Houdini forcing him to restart Houdini each time the ABC had to be updated. I personally always increment geo files so i never experienced that issue. But i do have to go into the geo nodes and update the new Alembic/Obj/Fbx each time which can indeed be a bit time consuming with lots of assets. So i was hoping there would be a little line i could drop in there. “$JOB/geo/geo.version`latest`.abc” and then have a button somewhere to reload all or only selected assets.

Thanks for your time and insights. Appreciated.
Staff
5156 posts
Sounds like that someone was probably running Windows, where you can't write to a file currently open for reading. Otherwise, the Alembic SOP has a Reload Geometry button that should update the cache if the file changes.
253 posts
Adriano
jsmack

Thanks. I was digging in the topic after reading a post on facebook, someone had issues overwriting Alembics when they are in use in Houdini forcing him to restart Houdini each time the ABC had to be updated. I personally always increment geo files so i never experienced that issue. But i do have to go into the geo nodes and update the new Alembic/Obj/Fbx each time which can indeed be a bit time consuming with lots of assets. So i was hoping there would be a little line i could drop in there. “$JOB/geo/geo.version`latest`.abc” and then have a button somewhere to reload all or only selected assets.

If you know python you can create a spare parameter where you get that latest file, and then reference that in the main file parameter.
403 posts
A-OC
Adriano
jsmack

If you know python you can create a spare parameter where you get that latest file, and then reference that in the main file parameter.

I know Python, but we haven't spoken to each other in a long time I'll give him a call and see if we can work something out.

Ah!

I wish.
  • Quick Links