Large model disappears when tumbling in viewport

4045   4   1
252 posts
Hi!

I have a large model that disappears when I tumble. It works and tumbles fine until I add a Fractal SOP (which tesselates it more). After adding the Fractal SOP it shows up fine, but when I go into the window and tumble, it disappears!

It isn't a clipping problem or anything like that.

Am I running into some caching setting or something? This is a Dual Xeon Workstation with 3 GB RAM and a GeForce 7800 GT Graphics card (256 MB).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig Hoffman
4140 posts
My first instinct would be the graphics card. “Large model” means different things to different people, but you might be pushing too much at that card.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
252 posts
That was my first instinct, but this is a pretty powerful card and can push a lot of polys, especially in games. I do wonder if the drivers aren't set up that great for this sort of thing in OpenGL, though.

-Craig
345 posts
Try increasing near clipping plane for your viewport or camera - from default (0.001) to for example 10 - depending how big model is.

I also know when you import huge models from another package, it is a good habit to scale it down by 0.001. I think houdini sometimes causes problems when object transforms exceed 6 digits.

cheers
kuba
268 posts
I've had this happend before, but it was with a quadro card (fx4000). The only thing I can suggest is setting the Cull limit in Display->Optimazation->Culling to display only half or quarter of geometry. Also displaying it as Hidden line invisible might help.
  • Quick Links