Search - User list
Full Version: About the tutorials I published
Root » Houdini Learning Materials » About the tutorials I published
malbrecht
Hi,

@sideFX: If this is the wrong forum to post this information in, I apologize and kindly ask for moving this thread to the appropriate place.

Over the years I have created a few hundred video tutorials, quick-tips etc., including several for Houdini.
These are gone.

As of today, Vimeo (*) has closed my account because they consider my free-to-watch, free-to-download, free-to-reproduce videos “commercial” and want me to pay them for a “pro” account. Since I am not making money from producing free content for that company I cannot economically justify investing money additionally to the (huge) amount of time making those videos costs.
That said, paying for webspace is perfectly fine with me, if there is adequate service on the other side of the table, which there hasn't been with Vimeo (who actually changed their system to make it less attractive to users with the lack of proper search functions, lists, sorting methods etc).
For some time I have been using Patreon to get in money to pay for hosting free content, but since THAT company obviously has zero intention of protecting my data in any way and has proven that they are completely unable (and unwilling) to properly react upon data protection inquiries, it is completely out of the question for me to cooperate with such a company.

I realize how “selfish” this may sound (“meh … all those companies are so evil”). However, I do not see a way of publishing free tutorials/how-tos any longer without a video hosting partner the treats their content providers respectfully and honest.

Marc Albrecht

(*) Youtube has told me that I do not attract enough viewers to be considered a “professional” content provider, therefore I have been cut off from participating in their advertising-income. This meant a loss of income of about 0,07 Dollar per year, which obviously has ruined me. With their aggressive advertising, especially for products that I do not want to advertise for, and the lack of responsibility about both intellectual property (hosting and not caring about pirated videos) and political agenda, I have shut down most of my YT actions quite some time ago.
BabaJ
I realize how “selfish” this may sound (“meh … all those companies are so evil”).

To me your not selfish at all…just being pragmatic.

I could also probably describe other ‘issues’ with these platforms as well…but since it has nothing to do with FX or Houdini…I will hold my tongue.

Thanks for your past efforts.
bobc4d
selfish? not at all I appreciate all it took to create tutorials and give them for free. Shows how classy, caring and giving you are.

selfish are the corporate entities who are stifling such efforts as you.
Konstantin Magnus
I turned from Vimeo to Youtube a few years ago mainly because of hosting space limitations. Technically and streaming-wise Youtube does a good job I think. As you probably know you can restrict advertising on your channel quite a bit and forego advertising avenue.
vusta
yep got my 1000th subscribers a few days ago on Youtube, you need at least 1000 to qualify for ads in your vids (ie. monetize)…but that was never my intentions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.