Search - User list
Full Version: Why SideFX have chosen XY Plane to face in Negative Z?
Root » Houdini Lounge » Why SideFX have chosen XY Plane to face in Negative Z?
kodbitz
Why SideFX have chosen default XY Plane for Grid/Circle/Whatever to face in Negative Z?
I came with this question because it does not fit into my logic that calls that default created objects should face up (or have normals be directed) to scene coordinate system.
I wish someone can explain me why I'm wrong..if am I.
Thank you.
roxo
Good question so far
BabaJ
I believe it's for backward compatibility.
anon_user_89151269
Backwards compatibility should be present for a version, maximum two. Or we're never going to move forward on some fronts. And there should be an option/preference to opt for said compatibility or to adopt the new stuff, if you're going start a new project. IMO…
BabaJ
Uhm…sry?…that was meant as a joke;

“…Face in the negative Z…” (Backwards) <> Backwards compatibility.
edschiffer
I never understood this as well.
asm
BabaJ

I read your post and was going to make that joke because I thought you were being serious
anon_user_89151269
BabaJ

Cool, it flew over my head obviously, but my point still stands, as a general approach.
furrycghamster
I recall in programming land that the default glm camera/opengl API the positive z-axis going through the screen towards you, maybe related to that!
edward
furrycghamster
I recall in programming land that the default glm camera/opengl API the positive z-axis going through the screen towards you, maybe related to that!

That is my guess as well. When you put down a Houdini camera, it is facing in the negative z-axis. That is also the default axis when you do “look at” constraints. So by having these “flat” primitives point in the z-axis, this makes it easier to do “look at” constraints with off the bat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.