Creep over a Polygonal Surface

6038   7   1
133 posts
I have a polygonal surface onto which I am trying to creep some geometry. In this case, I'm trying to creep an L-system over a polygonal arm.

I understand that the creep sop requires a closed, parametric surface, such as a NURBs or a mesh. The convert sop will convert to mesh, but each face then becomes it's own surface.

I've also tried to somehow use the UVs on the polygonal surface to drive the creeping of the l-system, but without success.

Is there a way for the Creep SOP to recognize the UVs as the coordinates to remap the points on the l-system to?

Thanks in advance,
Francisco Rodriguez
Francisco Rodriguez
Effects Animator | Walt Disney Animation Studios
7709 posts
What about using some proxy mesh geometry (which is constrained to the polygon geometry) for creeping?
133 posts
Is there a way to generate a proxy mesh geometry from the polygonal surface? I only have access to a polygonal model.
Francisco Rodriguez
1145 posts
You can use a ray sop and project a nurbs surface onto your polygon surface.
A nurbs grid should do.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
7709 posts
You also could try keeping only a well defined all-quad portion of the geometry that you want to creep on. If you sort the point numbers in the right way (compare with a Grid SOP), then you should be able to convert it into a Mesh.
133 posts
The Ray SOP solution got us where we needed to go for a quick solution, thanks. I used a tube mesh and positioned it around the arm, aimed the normals inwards, and let the Ray SOP do the magic. It seems to get confused around detailed areas, such as the fingers, though. Looks like the points can't determine a correct surface to land on.

The sort idea sounds really interesting. I'm gonna give that a try. I think there may be triangles here and there on the model, but it will be good for future reference.
Francisco Rodriguez
40 posts
I would like to re-open the question because I am now in the same situation.

I have a complex geometry and would like to create a single one proxy mesh from it.

The “Tube Trick” allows to get one single mesh, and works okay with very simple geometries. When the geo is complex it is not enough.

I am trying to create a single mesh with vdbs and convert node, but I get many meshes.

So the question is:
How can I get one single proxy mesh from the object? I need one single mesh because that is the requirement for the creep node.

Hope somebody can help.

I attach the files and pics.

Thanks.

Attachments:
ninfameshtwo.JPG (157.2 KB)
Ninfa_Proxy_Single_Mesh.7z (407.5 KB)

45 posts
Hi
I don't know how work the creep sop but I can create one polyline with all point with the wrangle if that you want.
I did it on the hip
Edited by Efi - Sept. 21, 2018 08:08:59

Attachments:
help_Single_Mesh.hiplc (187.6 KB)

Jeremy Gurdal
VFX Artrist
  • Quick Links