Search - User list
Full Version: Ship Landing Work In Progress
Root » Work in Progress » Ship Landing Work In Progress
VGriffith
Hey everyone,

I think I may be on the right track when it comes to the smoke but i'm not able to pinpoint what the problem is with the ship texture to make it look more realistic and fit in the scene. Any tips? Watch Here… [vimeo.com]

Vincent Griffith
anon_user_89151269
get rid of the blue paint (make it gray)? it gives me a starcraft ship vibe, hence a game look. just an impression.
Midphase
I don't think it's a ship's texture as much as lack of small detail. Right now it feels a bit like a toy. I would say add some micro-details, things that would give the viewer a better sense of the scale. Also, the speed of the approach betrays the size a bit, I would slow it down a bit. Then again I don't know what the scale is supposed to be.
VGriffith
pickled
get rid of the blue paint (make it gray)? it gives me a starcraft ship vibe, hence a game look. just an impression.
That is part because of the environment map, I could play around with desaturating the enviroment map though.

Midphase
I don't think it's a ship's texture as much as lack of small detail. Right now it feels a bit like a toy. I would say add some micro-details, things that would give the viewer a better sense of the scale. Also, the speed of the approach betrays the size a bit, I would slow it down a bit. Then again I don't know what the scale is supposed to be.

I totally agree with this, I'll play around with it and see what happens.

Thank you so much for commenting on it, I want to get better at this and I couldn't really pinpoint what the problem was. We all need outside help sometimes

Vincent Griffith
Midphase
Vincent, I really dig your dust smoke. Did you do it with particles which then advected the Pyro? I'm curious, if you care to share any insights.
VGriffith
Midphase
Vincent, I really dig your dust smoke. Did you do it with particles which then advected the Pyro? I'm curious, if you care to share any insights.

Here's how we're getting the velocity from the Thrust for the scattered particles ray'd onto the grid surface. Johnny Farmfield's tut here Thrust Tutorial [www.youtube.com] There is some different ways of getting this to work right for Houdini 17.5 that I had to do like changing the “Fuse” node with the “Facet” node. There was some other fandangeling in there but the meat of it is in that tutorial above.

The smoke is pretty much Volumes II from Steven Knipping: Volumes II [www.cgcircuit.com]

Cranked the density up on the billowy smoke houdini default shader and changed the color to match the ground in the shot and bam there it is.

Vincent Griffith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.