Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini 18 launch event live?
Root » Houdini Lounge » Houdini 18 launch event live?
Majinpu
Hello!

Is there any plan to have live the presentation of H18 ?

cheers!
mandrake0
No next day… thats normal for SESI… after the event they release the videos…
tamte
https://www.sidefx.com/community/houdini-18-sneak-peek/
Join us on our Youtube Channel [www.youtube.com] next Thursday, November 7 at 2pm EST for the H18 Launch Presentation.
anon_user_37409885
Thanks for the live broadcast - looks great.

With regards to geometry local space transforms. Do we think that Houdini could now do the Modo coffee cup tutorial as efficiently as Modo:

https://learn.foundry.com/modo/901/content/help/pages/tutorials/beginner_tutorial.html [learn.foundry.com]

It's a good baseline test to check toolset efficiency.
anon_user_89151269
local transformations for primitives

The emphasis on “for primitives” is a bit worrying. What about edges?
And still no Global Control toggle for components? Snapping seems untouched on that left toolbar…
We'll see when it's released, I guess.
malexander
pickled
local transformations for primitives

The emphasis on “for primitives” is a bit worrying. What about edges?

Local transformation works for edges as well.
anon_user_37409885
pickled
And still no Global Control toggle for components? Snapping seems untouched on that left toolbar

I can't remember the issues with these. Do you have a link that shows what we need?

Cheers!
julca
pickled
And still no Global Control toggle for components? Snapping seems untouched on that left toolbar…
We'll see when it's released, I guess.
Agree, Hope it will come a day (not too far).
Post RFE and explain !

Anyway, Great release !
Thank's for bevel update (not a revolution but way needed !!)
And all others great improvements !
harryabreu
Am I wrong or now Houdini is close to Katana?
Because if I saw correctly with Solaris(USD) we have a solid proxy mode and all features that was explained at presentation remember a lot of Katana but I am very new in Lookdev some one can give a mature opinion?
anon_user_89151269
twod
Cool! Does this feature work by simply changing the gizmo space or does one have to select a local mode from that drop-down list in the edit SOP? Hopefully it's the former, those modes being alternatives. Otherwise, not very optimized from an UX perspective if have to do a few things to transform components locally.

goat
I can't remember the issues with these. Do you have a link that shows what we need?
It's the same exact idea you can currently test with a few objects at scene level (moved and rotated randomly). Local space translate > Local Control > check/uncheck “translate globally in local control”

About snapping - there's no way to assign a transient key or to save a permanent defaults. Thinking out-loud about this, since to have these implemented there's no need to have the icons changed/re-arranged, my initial assumption that they are left unchanged, is baseless. But it still might turn out to be true.

So this was mainly a “rendering release”. I got a bit of tingling about what CB has said at the end about possibly disruptive character tools and hope to see the next release as a “character” one.
anon_user_89151269
Forgot to add that, regarding sub-d modeling we're still missing a few things, pretty important imo. A re-written edge subdivide that doesn't get messed up based on the selection order or whether it's a closed edge ring selection. With rounding, based on the angle of the adjacent polys. A split tool with the option to keep the starting point. A weld edges - currently non existing. Poly-draw/topobuild with edge snapping. Probably others that don't come to mind.

Regarding transformations, it seems like SideFX took the wrong path in Houdini's early days and now, considering how much stuff is dependent on point/poly transformations, it's hard to get back to that crossroad and take another path, from an ui/ux pov.
We're stuck with the current model which, granted, has been improved and patched but to me, it still seems like navigating through all the options related to transformations one needs a machete to cut through the bushes. Much like the viewport display options, most of the functionality is there, but using it is still an UX debacle. The person taking the open position as an ui/ux developer has their work cut out for them.
malexander
pickled
twod
Cool! Does this feature work by simply changing the gizmo space or does one have to select a local mode from that drop-down list in the edit SOP? Hopefully it's the former, those modes being alternatives. Otherwise, not very optimized from an UX perspective if have to do a few things to transform components locally.

It's in a menu on the handle.
About snapping - there's no way to assign a transient key or to save a permanent defaults. Thinking out-loud about this, since to have these implemented there's no need to have the icons changed/re-arranged, my initial assumption that they are left unchanged, is baseless. But it still might turn out to be true.

You can assign hotkeys to radial menus, and snapping has its own radial menu, so you can have a combo like X-Z or X-C to toggle your favourite snapping modes. I don't think anything has been done regarding preference saving for snapping.

So this was mainly a “rendering release”. I got a bit of tingling about what CB has said at the end about possibly disruptive character tools and hope to see the next release as a “character” one.

Rendering is part of it, but Solaris is really lookdev, lighting, and layout. It overshadows the modelling and effects stuff a bit (no pun intended) but they are solid areas of improvement in their own right.

As for the next release, well, Cristin is the director of R&D…
xilofoton
“…their bug fixed the next day…” (Chris Rydalch, Blue Sky)

I think this part is the most important thing in the whole presentation. I hope this release with all the new features will be stable from the day 1. I don't care about the annoying curve tool and other modeling weaknesses, there is Blender which is at a different level for direct modeling, easy to learn. If SideFX Labs could develop a bridge for Blender, that would be awesome.
anon_user_37409885
Not sure if we can get an answer but with a good range of 8-32 core Cpus available by years end, is Karma, and by extension Houdini, scaling across all cores? i.e. is there a sweet spot, enabled with Tops perhaps.
anon_user_89151269
@twod snapping needs a transient key, not a toggle. This is a statement based on experience, almost an axiomatic view of how this should be. If one doesn't see or feel this, there's little I can say or argue about it. I think I tried to make my case with previous posts why a toggle instead of a transient key is not the way to go as far as snapping activation goes and I'm not sure whether further attempts are going to make a difference. We have hit a bedeock here apparently.
anon_user_37409885
Transient snaps sounds reasonable. Any reason it can't be done?
JabbaTheNut
Any word on the release date? The best I could find was “late 2019”.
dyts
JabbaTheNut
Any word on the release date? The best I could find was “late 2019”.
We are all waiting for it, and now news :/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.