Search - User list
Full Version: Layered camera image planes with transparency
Root » Houdini Lounge » Layered camera image planes with transparency
lcymet
Hey Folks,

I'm trying to do some tricky layout in Houdini for some VFX work, and it would be great to be able to layer a plate with a transparency in front at a depth close to camera, and then a background image in the distance with my CG sandwiched in between. Ideally this would respect camera aperture, fit and aspect ratio settings.

I know about the background display option, but I see no way to layer multiple image sequences at a set depth. Do I have to build a tool for this, or is there an available technique I'm not seeing in Houdini?

Thanks!

Laurence
jsmack
lcymet
Do I have to build a tool for this, or is there an available technique I'm not seeing in Houdini?

Yes, there is no built-in way to do this. The simplest way is with textured cards parented to the camera.
lcymet
Okay, thanks for the heads up.
anon_user_37409885
H18 is getting a lot of things right with the camera, i.e. spherical BGs, 2d pan & zoom, and, a Foreground with alpha option would be very welcome and a great addition. Big productivity gains!
jsmack
You could build this right now with an HDA in LOPs. It's a perfect usage for defining purpose on primitives.
anon_user_37409885
LOPs is definitely v1; the performance is sub-par for animation; simply dropdown a test geometry Crag and it's jerky-as.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.