Search - User list
Full Version: Multiparm Block UI and Ramp Parameters
Root » Technical Discussion » Multiparm Block UI and Ramp Parameters
jm
Heya

So I've not got a great deal of experience with multiparm blocks when creating otls, i've been avoiding touching on this for quite some time. I've managed to find this great blog entry by Arjuna Ravikumar (https://www.artstation.com/arjunaravikumar/blog/WEoY/tutorial-using-multiparms-in-houdini) on how to use multiparm blocks with a more static UI, like position of a cube, color node etc.

How could i get a multiparm block ui to work with a ramp parameter? because users can add or remove points, so the info that Arjuna provided doesn't fully apply. Is it even possible? Would i need to do this through vex? Any help or example scenes would be a great help i'm a bit stuck on this.

Thanks in advance!
Aizatulin
Hi,

in a wrangle you can add a folder (using edit parameter interface) and change the type of the folder to multiparm block (list). Now you can add a ramp to this folder and set a specific name/label. In the wrangle you have access by using the function chramp().
You can call it like chramp('ramp1', u), chramp('ramp2', u) (if ‘ramp’ is the name of the ramp).
itoa() can convert the integer to string.

Here is a simple example modifying color attributes.
jm
That a great example thanks!
jm
I don't suppose that this would be possible in a VOP network or is only doable using VEX?
Aizatulin
if you want to use the inline node it is quite similar in VOP. But this is VEX in VOP. There are probably other solutions aswell.
jm
Oh of course, hadn't considered we had the inline node within VOPS, very tunnel visioned to using VOP nodes

Thanks again you were tremendously helpful!

And side note for others looking at this thread, simply dragging and dropping the multiparm into an edit interface panel after you collapse into a subnet works didnt think it would be as simple as that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.