Search - User list
Full Version: Crowd states and transition
Root » Technical Discussion » Crowd states and transition
logix
Hello,
I am a beginner in crowds in Houdini. I am trying to do a simple transition from one state to another inside a bounding box.
I want to go from “idle” to “walk”. It seems like I am getting some really crazy geometry in dops….I am basing this of the crowd example in the shelf. Not sure what i am doing wrong. Thanks
cwhite
The crowdsolver node has a warning if you Shift+MMB on it - “Values of the ‘state’ point attribute do not match any known state ('idle_1')”
On the Crowd Source SOP, change the initial state to just “idle”, in order to match your DOP setup
logix
thank you cwhite. That works. However I don't really understand why.

When I change the initial state to “idle”, why does that work. There are no clips I created called “idle”, there is only “idle_1” and “idle_2” and so on. Is the initial state in sops directly linked to what the name of the Crowd state node is in DOPS?

Also, there are a bunch of agents outside the bounding box now that are transitioning into the walk state even though my only trigger is a specified bounding box region.

Thank you .
cwhite
Yes, the Initial State parameter controls which state the agent starts out in for the simulation. States don't necessarily need the same name as a clip.

I think the issue you're seeing is that the “idle_*” pattern for the clip names in the ‘idle’ state includes the two “idle_to_walk” transition clips, so some agents appear to be walking because of that
logix
thank you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.