Search - User list
Full Version: USD and Unreal Engine 4
Root » Technical Discussion » USD and Unreal Engine 4
Pavel Dostal
Hi, all

i trying create easy scene v H18 and i export to usd. I using Houdini Indie version, but i when exported scene file is saved to usdlc, and unreal engine cannot import this format. Please help or write any knowledge

Thanks
pezetko
AFAIK Indie produces *lc version of USD file to limit the usage to Indie version of toolchain only.

It is similar to the hdalc and hiplc version. So it's not compatible (it downgrades full commercial license of Houdini to Indie).
You should be able to use usdlc in Karma.
But you cannot send it to other applications that do support only usdc (binary).
You will need a Core license (node-locked) at least.

Maybe SideFX could create their own usdlc unreal importer plugin? You may try RFE it.
Fontenelle89
Just found about this the hard way. Talk about major let down. I think one of the parties will have to make something workable, we can use hdalc in UE4, after all. In the long run, I'm not sure if limiting the format is a good move, as the entire industry is moving towards it. Imagine the mess if we had FBXlc. It goes against USD proposal of being universal.
jsmack
Core or FX are required for USD export. Unfortunately due to the nature of USD being a full scene export format, bypassing the license restrictions of Indie/apprentice is trivial, so it had to be restricted.

I hope that eventually some sort of compromise can be made so that USD can at least be used as a geometry/material interchange format, and restrict output when the stage comprises a full scene. It is also difficult to learn and debug usd without being able to read the raw ascii. Maybe that doesn't matter as much if it only exists as an intermediary for the renderer.
TwinSnakes007
Well, SideFX is creating a UE4 version 2 Houdini Engine upgrade, and I'd assume it would support the USD pipeline into UE4…or at least provide a road map from Houdini Indie into UE4.
Fontenelle89
I understand the reasoning but that will lead to some bizarre implications. Will I be able to open USDlc in Maya Indie(or even full Maya)? Will I be able to open an hypothetical Maya Indie USDi in Houdini? Things can get so fragmented might as well stick to current formats and workflows(speaking as an indie/freelance/non-big studio employee, ofc).
Pavel Dostal
Hi, usd in last build work perfect, but i when create complex scene with materials and export to usd and import to unreal engine 4. I receiver error on import usd in ue4 “TF_DIAGNOSTIC_RUNTIME_ERROR_TYPE failed to open layer @I:/usd_Test/test.usd”

I dont know why i import model, maybe any layer cannot import.

Image Not Found
Pavel Dostal
Hi, solved problem. Is need configuring Stage layers and unreal engine correct import usd format
archo_p
Hi Pavel,
Would you at all be able to ellaborate on how you solved the issue, I am having a similar one trying test USD to Unreal workflows. I've been using a portion of the Bar Scene example posted on SideFX but get the same error on import after trying a few different layer save styles. Doe you perhaps have to save as one of the other USD formats, like A or B? Does that stand for ascii and binary?

Would love to know some more details if you're able to explain! Thank you!
eddbigfoot
I have been exporting solaris geo to Unreal. So far I have two issues. One is that face assigned geo seems to break because geometrySubsets are not supported in Unreal. So it Seems. The other is that time samples seem to be added to all primvars like st, so UVs and other things dont work. When I strip these two things out it works ok. Anyone else seen this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.