Search - User list
Full Version: Groups to objects to FBX
Root » Technical Discussion » Groups to objects to FBX
lawindh
I've been reading a ton of other forums about this, but most of them are dated and I'm curious if there is an improved way of solving my problem.

I'd like to export an FBX that contains multiple meshes.

However, currently what i'd like to export is all inside a geo container. How can I convert groups to their own objects so that I can then export them as separate meshes inside one FBX file? I'm sure I can do this manually, but let's say I have a ton of groups that are very specific.

Side note, I'm only inquiring about converting groups to objects because that seems to be what I'm reading in other forums about the subject. It sounds like the only way to do this is at object level and possibly by bundling? Is there no simpler way to do this?

Thank you.
lawindh
I found this:

https://forums.odforce.net/topic/14934-convert-sop-groups-into-scene-objects/ [forums.odforce.net]

There appears to be a method here but I don't really know how to utilize it. Someone posted some Python code with a gif that appears to do the job. Anyone know how one would go about using that code?

Thank you.
lawindh
Still curious about this and would love some advice.

Would it be possible to blast by group name per frame? Then export each part like that? Perhaps once that blast runs I could than have another set of objects that uses each part to make a combined .FBX as a batch? I'm new to Houdini, so I have ideas, but don't always know how to implement them.

Hoping someone has an idea how to do this or something similar because I'm struggling to find information about this question.

Thanks again!
blubbmedia
lawindh
Apart from writing a Python script, here's something you can do manually if your group names can be similar:
- Call your groups somename_1 to somename_500
- Create a new empty Geo node, and call it somename_1
- Inside the node, put down an object merge, point it to the original node, and set the group1 parameter to `opname(“../”)`
- This now merges group somename_1 into your new geo
- You can then duplicate the somename_1 object level node 500 times, and each copy will merge a different group
lawindh
blubbmedia
lawindh
Apart from writing a Python script, here's something you can do manually if your group names can be similar:
- Call your groups somename_1 to somename_500
- Create a new empty Geo node, and call it somename_1
- Inside the node, put down an object merge, point it to the original node, and set the group1 parameter to `opname(“../”)`
- This now merges group somename_1 into your new geo
- You can then duplicate the somename_1 object level node 500 times, and each copy will merge a different group
That sounds like an automated solution. I really appreciate the advice. I'll give this a try and see how it goes! thanks!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.