Search - User list
Full Version: RDB's and Emission
Root » Technical Discussion » RDB's and Emission
timbolland
Hi everyone, I'm dipping my toe into the awesome water of RDB's in Houdini 18. I'm new to working with destruction in general but I'm finding the workflow and solvers really nice so far, especially the guided sim.

I've managed to create a ground explosion based on a “shockwave” that uses the guided sim method and I'm hoping to up-res it and bring in a lot more detail. Looking around there seems to be a lot of methods to do this, but I'm stuck on finding the optimal solution. However in the Houdini launch presentation there is a slide that talks about emission. I think potentially using the initial sim as a guide for emission somehow would work. Does anyone know how to go about doing this? I'm guessing there are a few steps for it and any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Tim
mrCatfish
Have you looked at the “Debris” shelf tool? This is a bit over-engineered, but you can use for reference or simply use a debris source SOP to generate points where separation occurs and then feed this into a POP network to generate addtional debris.
Ivan L
It also depends on how your sim looks.
There are many ways, you can replace lowres chunks with hires, add debris with different variations, add displacement/bump on the edges, deform your chunks after the sim, add some details after the sim using the orient attribute from you bullet sim. Particles + dust also make it rich and detailed.
It will help if you provide a video if possible
Thanks
timbolland
Thank you for getting back guys, I added an early movie of what I'm going for just below the photo.

I guess what I'm trying to do is break up the bigger chunks into smaller ones while still keeping the initial sim as a guide. I suppose I could shatter the already shattered geo even more, and use the initial sim as the guide. Maybe that's what it was intended for. I just saw the nice example from the presentation and it looked like there was a simpler way to emit more detail using Houdini 18's tools (with emission fig1)

Without knowing, it looks like they have taken the chipped pieces, worked out when they would trigger and re-emmited them a few times? It sounds simple but I don't really know how it's done.

Kind Regards,

Tim

I am also going to take a look at the Debris tool, thank you for suggesting it.
mrCatfish
For the SESI demo, was it the rolling block? That was to demo the better chipping algorithm in the RBD Material Fracture SOP… there was nothing fancy about that AFAIK, it was just a straight up Bullet SIM.
timbolland
Thank you for the help guys, as it turns out there was actually a demo scene after all that demonstrated what I was going for. It's referring to emission of small chunks from the impact points of the original sim. It can be found here:

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/examples/nodes/sop/rbdbulletsolver/RBDBulletSolverEmission.html [www.sidefx.com]

Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.