Search - User list
Full Version: Iterations option gone from HDA Processor node in Houdini 18
Root » PDG/TOPs » Iterations option gone from HDA Processor node in Houdini 18
Florian13
Hi guys,

I'm a proud beginner following this amazing courses from IndiePixel:
https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/pdg-for-indie-gamedev-section-3-creating-terrains [www.sidefx.com]

On the 10th video, Kenny (the instructor) splits the terrains using an HDA Processor node and an “Iterations” option that disappeared from Houdini 18. Could anybody help me with this? Why is this option gone and what's the alternative?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

- Florian
BrookeA
The same functionality is offered by the Generic Generator node. You will want to put a Generic Generator node before the HDA Processor node with the item count set to what your iterations count would have been. For an example of this, check out roadbuilder_tile.hip in $HFS/houdini/pdg/examples/top_roadbuilder.
Florian13
Thanks for your quick reply Brandon.

I was able to use the Generic Generator node but now I'm getting weird errors from Houdini Engine in Unity.

Any idea by chance?
seelan
Please try with a newer (latest) daily build of Houdini 18? If still a problem, please attach a hip file or hda that we can reproduce.
Florian13
Not sure what happened exactly but those errors are now gone. I'll get back to you if that happens again.

Thank you for your help!
Florian13
Alright, I'm getting those errors again and for no apparent reason.

You can download my Houdini files and a test Unity project (where I could reproduce the error) along with screenshots of both errors from the Unity console on that link [www.dropbox.com].

Please let me know! I'd really appreciate your help on this.
SharkDark
seelan
Please try with a newer (latest) daily build of Houdini 18? If still a problem, please attach a hip file or hda that we can reproduce.

I am also taking this course. but everything is different with me. The HDA Processor runs at 17.5 but does not work at version 18 of Houdini. All the time red exits.
Florian13
SharkDark
I am also taking this course. but everything is different with me. The HDA Processor runs at 17.5 but does not work at version 18 of Houdini. All the time red exits.

This is not really the topic here but try using the $HEU_ENVPATH_JOB global variable instead of $PDG_DIR in your TOP network. That seemed to have worked for me.
Florian13
I shot a quick video showing the issue

seelan
The error with result has been fixed in Houdini 18.0.357.
Florian13
seelan
The error with result has been fixed in Houdini 18.0.357.

Awesome, thanks. I confirm updating to 18.0.357 fixed the issue.

Are you guys planning to add Prefab baking from PDGAssetLink similarly to HoudiniAssetRoot?

Also, I am deep diving into Unity+Houdini these days and have/will have a lot of feedback and ideas to share. Is the forum the best way to communicate these things to you?

I'm so excited about all the possibilities that it gives me goose bumps
seelan
Currently no plants to add prefab baking support for PDGAssetLink.

Forum is the best way to communicate unless you have bugs/rfes in which case please submit them through support.
Popeye
How did you finally solve the problem?I used the generic generator node, but above the generic generator node I need an input. Once the input is available, the HDA Processor node will report an error.Can you share with us the Houdini project you solved?
CoconutOctopus
Hello!

Just wondering how you got the generic generator to work for you to replace the “iterations”? I'm missing something that allows the generator to pass through the upstream geo I think - the generator makes all my items, but there is no geo.

Thanks!
Florian13
CoconutOctopus
Hello!

Just wondering how you got the generic generator to work for you to replace the “iterations”? I'm missing something that allows the generator to pass through the upstream geo I think - the generator makes all my items, but there is no geo.

Thanks!

Hey, I added the Generic Generator in between both HDA Processors then checked Sequential and set Item count to 4 (or whatever your split count is).
Also, on the Split HD Processor (right after the Generator) you should set “Input File 1” to `chs(“../previous_hdaprocessor_name/outputfile1”)` (do a Copy Parameter on “Output File Name” of the previous HDA processor to get that path)

That should give you multiple work items to feed to the Partition by Index node.

Hope that helps!
Popeye
How did you finally solve the problem?I used the generic generator node, but above the generic generator node I need an input. Once the input is available, the HDA Processor node will report an error.Can you share with us the Houdini project you solved?
Florian13
Popeye

What's the error you get from the upstream HDA processor ?

Sorry I can't share my project at this time.
3Dben
I'm also stuck at this point following this tutorial. I think its just splitting out the first tile. I've put down a genric generator as you mentioned, then in its item count, I referenced the number of tiles multiplied by its self. This generates the right amount of processes but they all come out the same piece of tile. I have linked the tile number in hda parameters to @pdg_index (not `@pdg_index` as stated in the tutorial as that didn't work), but still no luck.
Any ideas?
It would be awesome if you could share how you got it working
Florian13
3Dben
I'm also stuck at this point following this tutorial. I think its just splitting out the first tile. I've put down a genric generator as you mentioned, then in its item count, I referenced the number of tiles multiplied by its self. This generates the right amount of processes but they all come out the same piece of tile. I have linked the tile number in hda parameters to @pdg_index (not `@pdg_index` as stated in the tutorial as that didn't work), but still no luck.
Any ideas?
It would be awesome if you could share how you got it working

Hey man, you'll find an HDA attached. I haven't opened it in a while and it might have changed significantly compared to the tutorial. But I know it did was working.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
3Dben
Florian13
Hey man, you'll find an HDA attached. I haven't opened it in a while and it might have changed significantly compared to the tutorial. But I know it did was working.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

THANK YOU Florian!!
Your file did not work when I opened it in my Houdini, but I went through and found the one difference I was missing - I did not name my output file with `@pdg_index` so it was just saving the same file each time it ran. Really happy I got it working. Thanks again for taking the time to post
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.