Create points from curve attributes?

1522   2   0
9 posts
I'm not sure if this is possible, but I would like to try…

I want to create randomly scattered particles, with their position and frequency weighted according to a curve.

As per the attached picture - I've taken a bell-curve (in red), and used the P.y position of each point to drive the number of points scattered between 0 and 200 in the Y axis. I'm doing this manually with each point (using a separate line and scatter node for each value), and then using a small jitter to make it look more fluid. So far I've filled in 40 out of 200, just to demonstrate the effect that I want, but doing it manually won't work for obvious reasons as I go forward.

I'd really like to be able to generate this dynamically, so that I can use channel operators and ramps to drive the overall parameters; eg. to change the curvature driving the graph, the number of points being read on the curve, the number of points generated, how they are plotted in 3D space etc. etc.

Any advice would be appreciated… I'm getting more comfortable with VOPS so a solution there would be great. I'm not so comfortable in VEX, but I'm willing to learn.

Cheers!

Attachments:
Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 00.06.19.png (2.1 MB)
CurveTest.hiplc (260.3 KB)

8531 posts
Scatter SOP can take density attribute

Attachments:
scatter_by_density_attribute.hiplc (94.1 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
9 posts
It's so simple when you know how!!! Thank you so much tamte, that's exactly what I'm looking for!
  • Quick Links