Search - User list
Full Version: Linux: resizing Houdini window(s) hard/impossible
Root » Technical Discussion » Linux: resizing Houdini window(s) hard/impossible
pbowmar
Hi,

18.0.352 Linux

I'm noticing that it's hard or impossible to resize Houdini windows. Optype Properties, floating Textport/Python, the file browser or any other window.

Feels like a Qt thing but I can't be sure. I grab the edge and drag and after a few pixels my mouse “detaches” from the window, and stops resizing.

Other apps on my machine have no issues resizing.

Anyone else facing this?

Cheers,

Peter B
protozoan
It's definitely not happening everywhere.

You're still rocking your Suse box, or is this something else?
pbowmar
Hi Martin,

Indeed, Suse with KDE. I was worried it was a WM thing At work we use Mate but Mate is truly terrible. I'll maybe give a lighter weight WM a go and see if that helps.

Cheers,

peter B
pbowmar
Ah, it is somewhat Houdini related. If I hide the Stage view (in GL mode or Karma) resizing windows returns to normal.

Once I show the Stage view, resizing becomes unusable again

Cheers,

Peter B
protozoan
Hm, tested it explicitly with stage context again, but to no avail, it works.

(Testing against nvidia 440.44, Openbox, picom compositor on and off both work)

Admittedly, during the beta and RC phase, stage was kind of glitchy for me, but that has improved since.
anon_user_37409885
It's happening in Kubuntu 19.10. Probably KDE's updated QT version is affecting it.
pbowmar
Thanks goat, at least if I'm not alone in this I'm not going completely insane
rvinluan
Yeah. I'm looking into this problem. I can reproduce the problem with Kubuntu 18.04 LTS but not GNOME Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. It's definitely KDE related.

One thing I notice is that if I try to resize the window enough times then all of a sudden the issues disappear and resizing goes back to normal.

I suspect that KDE desktop effects or some other windowing setting is not playing nice with Qt 5.12. I'll post here when I have more info.

Cheers,
Rob
rvinluan
Hi All,

FYI that I committed a fix for the resizing problem in KDE. Please give today's 18.0.365 build a try.

Cheers,
Rob
anon_user_37409885
Looks good Rob. Working well.

Overall, though, not sure why but it's still is never as smooth as Mac. Has a clunky feeling, in both Nuke and Houdini.
pbowmar
Thanks Rob, it's a pre-Valentine's day miracle!
danyargici
This issue has returned in H19 (every build I've tried up to and including 19.0.622)

Is anyone else experiencing this?

KDE
CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)
3.10.0-1160.15.2.el7.x86_64
graham
Yeah this is a continual problem for us as well, running Houdini 19 on CentOS 7 w/ KDE. jiversen submitted #121600 for the issue.
danyargici
19.5 is out and this issue remains to be a huge pain for our studio.

I submitted a bug report shortly after my first post and was told there was an existing ticket (#118701).

It's very disappointing to see this issue persist, especially when it appears to be a regression that has been addressed at least twice in the past!
rvinluan
danyargici
19.5 is out and this issue remains to be a huge pain for our studio.

I submitted a bug report shortly after my first post and was told there was an existing ticket (#118701).

It's very disappointing to see this issue persist, especially when it appears to be a regression that has been addressed at least twice in the past!

Hello,

We have been investigating the latest window resize issue for many weeks now and the good news is that we've identified the cause. Without going into too much detail, the issue is caused by a behavior change in Qt for a widget property that Houdini relies on. The behavior change happened when we upgraded Houdini 19 to Qt 5.15. This was similar to a behavior change in H18.0/18.5, when Houdini was upgraded to Qt 5.12 at the time, that caused the window resize issue in those versions.

Unfortunately, the behavior change in Qt 5.15 is not something we can completely fix or avoid like we did in the past. We are currently looking into potential workarounds, ones that will avoid the window resize issue but may have tradeoffs. Such workarounds will be optional. The user will have to opt into the workaround via an environment variable. We are aiming to have a workaround in place shortly.

In the long run, we are also looking at some internal re-architecting for future Houdini releases so that Houdini no longer relies on the Qt widget property related to the window resize issue.

Cheers,
Rob
rvinluan
For what it's worth, here's a KDE bug report on the window resize issue triggered by the same Qt widget property that Houdini relies on:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=435717 [bugs.kde.org]

Cheers,
Rob
rvinluan
Hi All,

Heads up that tomorrow's 19.0.720 build will have a workaround in place for the window resizing issues on KDE. The workaround is disabled by default. To enabled the workaround, set HOUDINI_KDE_RESIZE_FIX=1in the environment before launching Houdini.

The workaround does have one caveat -- the UI will not auto-redraw when dragging another window over it. To force the UI to redraw after dragging a window, you need to click on the UI.

I wish we could have put in a fix without any caveats but unfortunately this is the best we could do without any major re-architecting. We have planned changes in the next Houdini release to avoid the Qt::WA_PaintOnScreen attribute and put it in a proper fix.

Cheers,
Rob
jason_iversen
Hi Rob!

It this available for 19.0? I can't get the Changelog to list older platform entries anymore, e.g. specifying 19.0 in the Version form field -- is it broken?
rvinluan
jason_iversen
Hi Rob!

It this available for 19.0? I can't get the Changelog to list older platform entries anymore, e.g. specifying 19.0 in the Version form field -- is it broken?

Hi Jason,

Yup. The change is available as of build 19.0.720.

Here's the changelog:
https://www.sidefx.com/changelog/?journal=19.0&categories=&body=&version=&build_0=&build_1=&show_versions=on&show_compatibility=on&items_per_page= [www.sidefx.com]

You might be right about the Version field being broken. I'll check.

Cheers,
Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.