Search - User list
Full Version: IK Flip issues
Root » Technical Discussion » IK Flip issues
pksfx
Hi to all,

Since I am new to Houdini rigging, following the video tutorials of “Rigging with Houdini 16” by Michael Goldfarb. While practicing the arm set up, facing issues with blending between Fk & IK. Though created bones with the help of planes, but still while blending between FkIk, the joints are getting flipped. Then I've tried in a separate file (BlendFK_IK.hip) which works fine but not working with the character(FlipFK_IK.hip) which I was practicing. I have attached the WIP file along with this post. Someone please help and suggest me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.
goldfarb
by flipped do you mean twist?
L_LwrArm_bone has 180 in it's Rest Angle Z field
make that 0 and the twist will not happen.
pksfx
goldfarb
by flipped do you mean twist?
L_LwrArm_bone has 180 in it's Rest Angle Z field
make that 0 and the twist will not happen.

Thanks a lot @Michael for that reply.

Yes that was about TWIST.

I'd deleted all the respective constraints & IK twist effector and updated as you have guided, Now it works like charm.

Here I would like to discuss with you that I'm practicing the rig as per the “Rigging with Houdini 16” tutorial. While disconnecting the hierarchy of Arm 01 & Arm 02, there is no updation on the local transform but here where I am using the Houdini 17.5.425, after disconnecting the Arm01 & Arm02 the local transform getting updated, then I'd cleaned the transform, and rotated the bones to forward then again I'd cleaned the transform, then connected it to their hierarchies, again values got updated to the local transform, so again I'd cleaned the transform. Because of this the rest angle got updated it seems. I think that in Houdini 17 which I am practicing facing this issue.

Awaiting for your reply.

Thanks in advance
goldfarb
from another reply:
there was a change in the behaviour of nulls/bones when ‘Keep Position When Parenting" is ON and there are no keys/channels present.
In versions of Houdini prior to 17.5 the offset would be sent to the pretransform of the child node - leaving the local transform alone, however in 17.5 the offset is applied to the local transform - unless there are keys/channels on those transforms.
pksfx
goldfarb
from another reply:
there was a change in the behaviour of nulls/bones when ‘Keep Position When Parenting" is ON and there are no keys/channels present.
In versions of Houdini prior to 17.5 the offset would be sent to the pretransform of the child node - leaving the local transform alone, however in 17.5 the offset is applied to the local transform - unless there are keys/channels on those transforms.

@Michael Once again thanks a lot or that reply. Here one more I would like to ask you again, because of this rest angle is getting updated??

Then changing the orientation of joints like in Maya, Is there any option in Houdini??

I've seen at the last, once the Houdini Digital Asset gets update, then the file sends to animator. By “Allow Editing of Contents” animators can edit the rig. Since I'm new to Houdini, I would like to compare with Maya, the rig file would be referenced from the “reference editor” and if any rig updation happens animator gets update through that reference editor in Maya. How come this relates in Houdini's pipeline?.

Thanks in Advance
goldfarb
it is possible to prevent users from unlocking HDAs - though in practice it's often better to just tell them not to

see the ‘How to’ section here
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/assets/edit.html [www.sidefx.com]

and more information in the ‘Configuration tab’ here
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/ref/windows/optypemanager.html [www.sidefx.com]
pksfx
goldfarb
ends to animator. By “A
Thanks a ton and will look into it.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.