Error "Indie does not support generating disk files"

1491   4   0
34 posts
Hello. I am trying to use Pixar's Renderman (23.1) with Houdini 18 indie and when I try to render I get the following error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<stdin>”, line 1, in <module>
File “C:/Program Files/Pixar/RenderManForHoudini-23.1/18.0/python2.7libs\callback.py”, line 95, in dumpRib
node.render()
File “C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.388/houdini/python2.7libs\houpythonportion\ui.py”, line 927, in decorator
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.388/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py”, line 56815, in render
return _hou.RopNode_render(*args, **kwargs)
OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.
Error: Indie does not support generating disk files.
No command specified for rendering

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening (just in case it has something to do with Houdini)? Thank you in advance.
Edited by ventralstreams - Feb. 23, 2020 09:37:42
2531 posts
I think I experienced that in H17.5. Try using a different output driver, like old-school rib generation.
I tried to verify your error in H18 and I could no longer find that output driver option on the Renderman /out/ROP. It looks like it may be fixed in H18. Renderman 23 also works with LOPs.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
34 posts
I am using Renderman 23.1 with the latest daily build of Houdini 18. I will test it with the latest production build in case it is a bug. I also get weird warnings when creating a light in LOPs and also there is no pxr material builder node. The rest is there but that one node is missing.
34 posts
Yes. That was it. Everything seems to be working as expected using the production build. Seems like the latest Windows daily build has some weird bugs.
9 posts
I got same problem , i am so angry…any idea? do you think we have setup all the env variable correctly?
  • Quick Links