Search - User list
Full Version: Violent Ocean, is it possible?
Root » Technical Discussion » Violent Ocean, is it possible?
GCharb
Hello everyone!

I am wondering if a scene like this one is possible in Houdini, with all the details of the waves, if so, what kind of computer system would I need and what problems are to be expected!

GCharb
No taker? :/
vusta
what about skillz….? given the best typewriters…I've never seen a bunch of monkeys churned out works of Shakespeare quality.
GCharb
vusta
what about skillz….? given the best typewriters…I've never seen a bunch of monkeys churned out works of Shakespeare quality.
Cute, but utterly un-useful!

Even the best tool has its limits, is it possible for Houdini, given the proper skills, the proper equipment, to reproduce the fluids in that image, including the whitewater, of course, and can it be done on my 32 GB 6 core system, or do I need a beefier setup, now that is the question!
Siavash Tehrani
If you check YouTube and search for “Houdini lighthouse” you'll see some examples. You could reproduce that image, including whitewhater, but not on a 32GB system. At least not faithfully with all the details present in the photo. I would guess 128GB+ is a safer bet.
GCharb
DaJuice
If you check YouTube and search for “Houdini lighthouse” you'll see some examples. You could reproduce that image, including whitewhater, but not on a 32GB system. At least not faithfully with all the details present in the photo. I would guess 128GB+ is a safer bet.
Thanks for your reply and advice, I also thought my specs were too low, thanks again, I will look it up!
animatrix_
It has been done here too (albeit using a sparse FLIP solver and clustering with an extremely involved setup):

I would also advise at least 64GB RAM, but 128GB would be better.
GCharb
animatrix_
It has been done here too (albeit using a sparse FLIP solver and clustering with an extremely involved setup):

I would also advise at least 64GB RAM, but 128GB would be better.
Now that's what I am talking about, thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.