USD error: Layer saved to a location generated from a node

6198   7   2
1 posts
Okay, I feel like I'm missing something simple here.

I'm trying to generate a USD for use in UE4- just a simple single piece of geometry to start!

Using the rubbertoy at the moment. Using only the defaults in the ROP I'm getting errors!

In the stage context, I'm getting an error from the USD_ROP:
“Layer saved to a location generated from a node path”

A USD gets generated, and looking at in a text editor, it looks like it's pointing to everything properly?

I'd really appreciate any advice… even a “read this from the manual dummy”
I've gone through what I think is the correct sections in the help file?

If I load the USD into Unreal it's blank! Hoping the error I'm getting in Houdini is related to this?

Attachments:
USD_ROP_Error00.JPG (150.0 KB)
USD_ROP_Error01.JPG (143.3 KB)
USD_UE4_NoStage.JPG (46.5 KB)

31 posts
some error…. any help ?
—————–
Heribert

+heribertraab.com
126 posts
Sorry, no luck on my end. If I ever get it working I'll post the info here.

BTW… is that Roland as your avatar?
7759 posts
The save paths for the referenced layers are unspecified, which causes them to get node paths as the file name. This errors by default since it's usually undesirable. You can try flatting the stage in various ways such as on the usd rop to fold the references in, that way only a single output file is generated. Another option is set the usd rop to ignore that error.

The scene import node makes it hard to set the save path for each layer, as it would need to be configured in each object being imported using a usd properties sop.

When only importing a single geometry source, try the sop import or sop create nodes, as it doesn't create a reference by default, and will save with the layer on which it's imported. Even when manually switched to a reference, the save path is exposed allowing specifying the path explicitly.
31 posts
ah makes sense now… thanks, there lots traps and bumps in solaris, if use wanna do simple stuff.

sop-create node and object-merge the stuff into sop-create network, works best.

@The3DStig : nope, the avatar is Therence Hill
—————–
Heribert

+heribertraab.com
14 posts
Ran into this today too. You can solve it by changing the USD ROP to “Flatten Stage.” (h/t mestela.) It seems like the USD ROP is really picky about the names of your layers if they're not flattened, but there's no easy way to specify the name of the layer on the SOP Import node, so you're stuck either flattening or specifying individual file names on each SOP Import.
7759 posts
SiriusLizard
Ran into this today too. You can solve it by changing the USD ROP to “Flatten Stage.” (h/t mestela.) It seems like the USD ROP is really picky about the names of your layers if they're not flattened, but there's no easy way to specify the name of the layer on the SOP Import node, so you're stuck either flattening or specifying individual file names on each SOP Import.

Or you could ignore the error, using the path to the nodes in the scene for the file names isn't the end of the world.
159 posts
This thread answered my question. Thanks
  • Quick Links