UV Attribute from N

5537   7   2
217 posts
Hi all,

maybe a small problem for you?

I have a wall follow a mountain and use UV-Texture with Face. Now I'd like to have my texture follow the Y-Position. So on each basepoint V = 0 and on top = 1. Because I have alot of walls I need it procedural.

Any help would be fine ;o)

Thanks a lot

Detlef

Attachments:
Problem01.jpg (17.8 KB)

50 posts
You will need to put them all into a single sop with a merge, attribcreate and call it ypos(or whatever), then attribpromote from point to detail and change the name to yposmin, and select minimum, attribcreate again and again point to detail, but this time max, and of course change the name to yposmax, now add a null and make 2 spare channels.

detail(“../sopname”,“yposmin”,0)
detail(“../sopname”,“yposmax”,0)

call these whatever. Lock this node.(or not if you are going to be repo-ing the geo)

now whererver you are adding the normal attribute use this

fit($TY,ch(“../null/minchan”),ch(“../nul/maxchan”),0,1)
“Don't just look for what you think you will find”

-That CSI guy
217 posts
Thanks a lot,

but what about my UV coordinates? I've tried a attribute N -> UV but nothing happens. Sorry, but this is the first time I'm working with attributes and for me it's a complete great new world.

Greetings from Germany

Detlef

Attachments:
Wall.zip (352.8 KB)

50 posts
begrüßen zum Strand

so right, when creating an attribute, you have to assign the value for said attribute, in this case it is $TY, to assign the normal lay down a point SOP. Also in your UV textrure you had natural location which was assigning your UV to verticies, not wrong exactly, but point textrue is more likely the direction you want to go.

FYI- right click on any SOP and select spreadsheet, to see a list of all attributes, point, vertex, primitive and detail.

Im not sure where you are going with this so I just added the missing parts.

Also both Normals and UV's are vectors, so it is not as simple as N->UV
more
$NX->$MAPU, $NY->$MAPV,$NZ->$MAPW

Attachments:
Wall02.hip (1.0 MB)

-That CSI guy
217 posts
Thanks,

sorry about the time delay ;o) I'm coming direct from my HobieCat on the beach ;o) no really!

I`ll try it out, but I have Houdini 8.0562 and get some messages. I download a newer Apprentice Version.

You will hear from me

Have a Hobie Day

Detlef
217 posts
No I find no way out there - trying some attribute switches….
Please see what I want. The texture shall follow the Y-Points

Detlef

Attachments:
Wallexample.jpg (13.0 KB)

50 posts
Ok, I don't have time to test this to be sure its air tight but this is the direction you want to go.

first normalize your geometry, so that everything (or at least your $TY) is 0-1, which I didn't do, I just grabbed the points really quick and made them all on the same plane, then add your UV texture, rows and collumns, now put down a point sop off your original geo and plug in your UV sop to the second imput, and use $MAPU2 ect for the uv coordinates.

cheers

-3db

Attachments:
Wall03.hip (1.0 MB)

-That CSI guy
217 posts
Thanks a lot!!!

That works for me, sorry that my first idea goes into another direction…

Have a nice day

Detlef
  • Quick Links