Skinning Converter - how to get the anim working in UnrealEngine?

1659   4   1
46 posts
Hey, sorry to bother, just got some trouble exporting the Skinning Converter´s output as FBX properly.

On importing the FBX into Blender, the mesh just stands still, only the bones move as desired, same in UnrealEngine.

If I rig up and capture some object in Houdini myself on the other hand
(tried a setup with a sphere, and 3 connected bones parented to a null)
and export/import mesh and anim as two separate files, the anim works just fine and the mesh is properly deformed.

How does it work with the Skinning Converter? Do I have to export all into one file? Two separate files?

Do I have to take care of the weights somehow?

Totally happy if someone can hint me
Thanks in advance!
Edited by illusionistics - April 29, 2020 16:24:30
…just
…evolving
46 posts
… guess it just solved itself - been rewatching the ILLUME Webinar (Halloween Edition)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lvldnLa6xI [www.youtube.com]
~ min 15:40 export/import to Unity is covered.
Hope it´s similar with UE, else I´ll come crying again

Cheers!
…just
…evolving
46 posts
And here I come crying again

How does import into UE work?

Glad about any clue!

P.s. just tried importing into Unity and the anim on the mesh also won´t show up…
Edited by illusionistics - April 29, 2020 21:33:09
…just
…evolving
46 posts
Whew! Managed to get it working by deleting the content of the geo1 node inside the subnet created by the Skinning Converter then pasting in the original unmodified grid I was using for the example cloth sim and recapturing that to the bones (which are all properly keyframed by the S.C.). Had to toggle off “Destroy Existing Weights” in the bonecapture biharmonic node and it was a bit of a fuss to get all nodes to recook, but I´m fine with that
If there´s a better way though, please let me know …
Have Fun & Cheers!
…just
…evolving
104 posts
illusionistics
Whew! Managed to get it working by deleting the content of the geo1 node inside the subnet created by the Skinning Converter then pasting in the original unmodified grid I was using for the example cloth sim and recapturing that to the bones (which are all properly keyframed by the S.C.). Had to toggle off “Destroy Existing Weights” in the bonecapture biharmonic node and it was a bit of a fuss to get all nodes to recook, but I´m fine with that
If there´s a better way though, please let me know …
Have Fun & Cheers!
Hi, there is rumor that this is a bug, I will update you because I am struggling with the similar problem right now. Your system works. I don't know about Destroy Existing Weight, but what I did I just used the first node in the geo1 and wired it to the timeshift to take just a first frame and then I was able to click capture geometry in the shelf which then lets me choose the root bone. Then in the UE the animation works and it is captured, however, the import prompts the warning listing all the bones in the capture saying it is not able to something, I don't understand what, and I am not sure if this warning will effect the Unreal Asset or not. (I am very fresh in the UE4)
  • Quick Links