Search - User list
Full Version: HELP!!!! Render engines conflict issues
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » HELP!!!! Render engines conflict issues
ttpetra
Hello,

Using Houdini recently has been horrible. It crashes at every turn and feedback from the team is that its the render engines installed i.e redshift & renderman 23.

Can anyone help with how to overcome these issues as its so bad i can hardly do anything with the application. I am almost regretting that i renewed my license.

This is the conf of my houdini env

REDSHIFT_COREDATAPATH = “c:/ProgramData/Redshift”
HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 1
PATH = “C:/ProgramData/Redshift/bin;$PATH”
HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 2
MOPS=“C:\Users\COUGAR\Documents\MOPS;$PATH”

REDSHIFT_RV_ALWAYSONTOP = 0
REDSHIFT_RV_OPEN_ONLY = 1
PXR_PLUGINPATH_NAME = “$REDSHIFT_COREDATAPATH/Plugins/Solaris/${HOUDINI_VERSION}”
MOPS=“C:\Users\COUGAR\Documents\MOPS;&”

RMANTREE=C:\Program Files\Pixar\RenderManProServer-23.3
RFHTREE=C:\Program Files\Pixar\RenderManForHoudini-23.3

RMAN_PROCEDURALPATH=$RFHTREE\18.0\openvdb;&
HOUDINI_PATH=“C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/18.0.460;$RFHTREE\18.0;&”
PATH=$RMANTREE\bin;&
toadstorm
Your environment file is all over the place. There's a lot of keys that don't make sense… appending “&” to $MOPS for example, in addition to appending $PATH, doesn't make much sense, and then again at the end you're setting a new definition for $PATH without including the original $PATH.

The best way to get these things working together is to start by deleting Houdini.env and replacing it with individual packages, one for each plugin. This way you can add-on one plugin at a time, and enable/disable them separately from each other without needing to edit that same file and worry about adding things together.

I don't have a ready-made Renderman package for you, but I can show you what MOPs and Redshift look like as package configurations. Here's MOPS:

{
"env": [
{
"MOPS": "D:/Projects/VFX/MOPS"
},
],
"path": "$MOPS"

}

And here's Redshift:
{
"env": [
{
"PATH": "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/bin",
"method": "append"
}
],
"path": "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/18.0.460"
}

It's more or less the same keys you're setting in Houdini.env, but broken up into a more modular format, and without needing to worry about every last “&” and “@” and all that. You just save those as .JSON files and place them in $HOME/houdiniXX.X/packages.

I wrote a little post about writing packages here: https://www.toadstorm.com/blog/?p=722 [www.toadstorm.com]

And here's the official docs: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/ref/plugins.html [www.sidefx.com]
Midphase
Here's a tutorial video on Packages based on Henry's informative blog post about them.

In general however I hear nothing but nightmare stories regarding users trying to get Renderman to behave nicely with other renderers. Not saying that it's impossible to do, but I think the loading order plays a role in how well it works when you have multiple render engines.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.