Search - User list
Full Version: Float attribute on curves & Alembic to maya
Root » Technical Discussion » Float attribute on curves & Alembic to maya
Lebajocasse
Hi

I have been learning Houdini during this lockdown. Currently doing a paid project with it (yeah!).
Render still needs to happen in Maya.

I built a bunch of animated curves in Houdini. Exported it to alembic and brought in Maya.
But since 24h and many trials I can't figure out how to export a float value with those curves.. I believe I created and attached this float attribute as supposed to in Houdini. But I can't figure how to read it in Maya. Since that it is not a vertex color attribute.
I need to connect this flat value to my shader opacity. Supposedly to activate a flicker on those curves..

I did a version of the curves converted to polygons. Connected that float attribute as a color attribute on it and exported. This is working. I can see it in the colorsets of Maya. But I need these curves due to the size of the alembic files if they were meshes…

Any help would be very much appreciated..
Cheers
ralphymeijer
Hey what are you using for rendering in Maya. We do the same thing but use vray proxies to do the hair rendering. Works really well with extra attributes. I'm sure there is a similar workflow possible with any other renderer. You are correct that in maya you can't read extra attributes from curves.

Good luck!

Ralph
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.