Cache sculpt alembic?

1474   5   0
52 posts
Hi all,

I have an alembic cache of a body running and I want to sculpt certain frames to improve some of the shapes.

I’ve added a sculp node and done then changes but when I change frame the body goes funky.

Anyone can recommend a way to somehow sculpt on a given frame and have it stick and maybe even control a way to fade the effect in and out ?

Thanks!
7755 posts
Convert the sculpt position to a delta attribute, and use attribute reorient to rotate the deltas as the mesh moves/deforms. Then apply the reoriented delta to the point positions. Transform by attribute is a convenient way to apply deltas. Multiplying the delta with an animated mask can allow fading out over time.
52 posts
Wow. Somehow it makes sense but I wouldn’t know where to start. Got any pointers/examples I can follow? :p
52 posts
Anyone can point me to all this mentioned above?

- Store sculpt as deltas (or any transform points really)
- Rotate using attribute reoritent (rotate like, using normals or how?)
- use transform by attribute to reapply such “rotated” attributes?
- use a mask somehow to fade It in and out (Im assuming another attribute could be used an multiplied on top, like an attrpaint )

Thanks in advance!
7755 posts
There are nodes for some of these steps, The attribute reorient can rotate the deltas given a reference pose and the animated one, and transform by attribute can apply the delta. The other two steps, computing deltas and masking are best done with attribute wrangles or attribute VOPs, depending on your comfort in writing code.

The delta would be the difference between the reference pose and the sculpt pose. (Delta = After - Before)

Applying a mask is multiplying the delta attribute by the mask value, which could either be a constant animated value or a painted mask.
Edited by jsmack - July 6, 2020 17:20:45
52 posts
Thanks for the insight! I’ll take it from here!
  • Quick Links