Search - User list
Full Version: Wire Glue Constraints - Tree Hierarchy
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » Wire Glue Constraints - Tree Hierarchy
hopeschroers
Hi guys,

So I'm working on rigging a tree right now that I have generated from a friends tree tool. I had been watching this presentation from Houdini Hive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNSB3KUrd6g&t=507s) and I understand what is happening but I'm running into a weird issue that I cant seem to resolve.

Its with the wire glue constraints.
Instead of getting this nice looking rig (first pic)
I get this (second pic) - so what's happening is I have multiple constraint points between the trunk and first branch hierarchy and I'm getting this bizarre middle point between all the constraints. I cant figure out why. Any ideas?

EDIT: may be an id issue - I've been fiddling with it more and the id is affecting what the constraints look like, but I'm still getting that odd, very bad center point where there is no wire object.

Also if you have any better ideas on how to set up this wire sim that is appreciated as well. Thanks!

I cannot provide a Houdini file because of some stuff that's in there. Sorry

Thank you ahead of time
BradThompson
I know this post is old, but since I just ran into the same issue and haven't gotten around it yet, I thought I'd post.

The problem seems to be that the glue constraints are expecting ordered groups, but it's not respecting the order, even if you create the group outside of DOPS. It seems like it's reordering things by @ptnum. For me, this works fine until it doesn't. Usually when a small branch (high @ptnums) is supposed to glue to a part of the tree with low ptnums, like the trunk.

I would love to know if there is a way to feed the constrained and goal point arrays into the wire glue constraint nodes without loosing the order. Maybe a dictionary detail attribute or something? That field only seems to accept expressions that result in a group, from what I can tell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.