Search - User list
Full Version: Bullet packed RBD colliding with deforming heightfield error
Root » Technical Discussion » Bullet packed RBD colliding with deforming heightfield error
Chats
Hey there,

I am trying to collide many hundreds of bullet rbd packed spheres (using spherical collision shape on the bullet object) against an undulating ground plane (think similar to the surface of an ocean or swimming pool).

I want to use the terrain heightfield object to collide the bullets against so I don't have to create some crazy set of convex meshes to represent the animating ground.

If I use a static heighfield to collide against it works great! But as soon as I set the object to deforming, so that it reads in the heightfield at every timestep, all the rbds just dissapear as soon as they collide with it and the P attribute is set to ‘nan’.

Is this a known limitation that bullet packed rbds can't collide against a deforming heightfield??

This will really save my hide if I can get it to work..
Alternatively, what would be the next best thing to collide against an undulating animated wavy ground plane?

Cheers!
jsmack
Chats
Is this a known limitation that bullet packed rbds can't collide against a deforming heightfield??

probably, haven't tried that one though.

Chats
Alternatively, what would be the next best thing to collide against an undulating animated wavy ground plane?

Maybe you could do a moving pin array? Like one of those old toys?

Chats
Ha that's not a bad idea, I might try that..
In the meantime extruding the ground down and using it as a bullet concave object seems to be working suprisingly well, even though I know it's best to avoid using concave collision geos and it's pretty slow.. using a heightfield here would be ideal!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.