Multicpu Rendering Using Network Storage (windows?)

3994   3   1
56 posts
I've posted this to Odforce as well, sorry for cross posting.

This is apparently a known issue, but someone could shed some light on it.

We are running the following configuration on the network: windows 2003 server/storage server (multiple servers) with samba shares mounted on workstations running windows xp 32/64bit (with service packs installed) and Houdini 8.2.13.

I have a test project setup on the network server and I'm accessing the assets/content using mapped drives (or UNC, doesn't make a difference). When I try to render on multiple CPUs on the local machine (using the -n switch) or across multiple machines (-H switch) I can't access the textures anymore (just red standin color).

If this is really a known thing and I can't do anything about it..anyone has tips to work around? It's kinda ok for asset creation, I could just check them out to local disk together with textures and some smart env variable massaging, but when it comes to lighting shots, this is not a workable solution.

Just out of curiosity..what's causing the issue (technically)? I can't imagine.

Also, is this the same on Linux (I mean either a *nix server or a pure Linux environment)?

thanks
Andras
7713 posts
Have you read this? Esp. Misc Issues
http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/MantraRemoteRendering [odforce.net]
56 posts
Ah, my bad then Thanks Edward.

Just for the sake of logging this:
Mark explained [forums.odforce.net] it meanwhile.
56 posts
This is still not working..for some reason launching hserver using hservice doesn't seem to propagate the rights properly.

I tried the RUNAS command first, nothing.

Then I tried pstools (psexec) with the following syntax, it didn't help either, hserver still runs as SYSTEM user instead of Renderman (this is 1 line of code)

\\calimero\skynet\psexec \\superjudge -u DOMAIN\Renderman -p Password -i -d -c \\calimero\skynet\applications\houdini\services\hservice -i HoudiniServer “\\calimero\skynet\applications\houdini\services\hserver.exe” -s HoudiniServer

Any clues? Is there any other way to launch hserver without installing it as a service?
What if i write a wrapper in python and use the win32 services module?

If this is not possible, tips of administrating a large amount of Windows machines is also welcome..this hserver thing is bit of a pain in the ass.
  • Quick Links