Simple FK chain for KineFX joints

1941   1   0
29 posts
Hi,
I have a problem that might be a trivial one, but Houdini can't stop to overwhelm me.
I need to create a simple FK controls chain for KineFX joints, let's say a character's arm. I have no idea how to approach this.
Ideally what I need is:
1. To create three control objects and match their transforms to joints. What nodes would these objects be? Simple boxes? Top level objects? How to match them to joints?
2. To parent these objects to each other in an FK chain fashion. Again - this sounds easy, but I can't figure out a way to do it
3. To copy transforms from control objects to the corresponding joints. On an object level I would simply use constraints, but in SOP?

I'd appreciate your help a lot. I really want to jump into Houdini, but keep failing to achieve the simplest goals. Is there maybe a general rule on how to approach this kind of problems?
29 posts
Okay, I think I came up with an idea. I'll just rig and animate my character the traditional way and bring it to another SOP to do the procedurals with KineFX. I guess this is how it's meant to work (correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Quick Links