Search - User list
Full Version: Python 3 Builds
Root » Houdini Lounge » Python 3 Builds
Ruteger1
I notice there are now Python 3 daily builds to download.

Are these now the recommended builds to use? It seems that they break VRay 5, so that's why I ask.
jsmack
I would stick with python 2 unless there is some external library that you need that only works with python 3.
protozoan
A lot of 3rd party stuff still has to catch up to python3. I've always been amongst those to give SESI s**t about getting PY3 out, but actually they are quite far ahead. A lot of other VFX softwares are only starting to convert. I would guess it takes at least another year for everything to go smoothly.
Ruteger1
Thanks for the info - I'll stick with the old for now and wait for the 3rd party apps to catchup.

I know C4D R23 is now a P3 build.
Soothsayer
I wanted to try out some 3rd party renderers and couldn't get them to work until I realized that I had accidentally downloaded a Py3 version. They appear as default option when I go to the downloadable builds and as far as I can tell I couldn't get the specific Py2 version anymore.

So, careful!
jsmack
Soothsayer
I wanted to try out some 3rd party renderers and couldn't get them to work until I realized that I had accidentally downloaded a Py3 version. They appear as default option when I go to the downloadable builds and as far as I can tell I couldn't get the specific Py2 version anymore.

So, careful!

I just noticed they were the default as well. I guess they're trying to increase the amount of involuntary testers users of the python 3 build.

The python 2 build is still available by deselecting python3 in the build filters on the download page.
pbowmar
I would recommend you give feedback to the 3rd party vendors that have not yet provided Py3 versions of their software.

I do know Redshift v 3.0 has a Py3 version so they're on the ball at least We have switched to Py3 internally, it took a couple of weeks plus some testing but seems to be generally working and we're about to deploy it to the artists so that's the real test

Cheers,

Peter B
protozoan
pbowmar
We have switched to Py3 internally,

How'd you get around the looming Tractor issue?
pbowmar
Tractor is thankfully long behind me We're using Deadline, and specifically the SESI provided PDG Deadline TOP, which of course SESI support quickly if there is a problem.
protozoan
pbowmar
Tractor is thankfully long behind me

Oh damn.. it's getting cold and lonely out here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.