Search - User list
Full Version: Setting node defaults for all users
Root » Technical Discussion » Setting node defaults for all users
danwnewlands
Hey,

We are using the deadline rop node and I'm wondering whats the best method for setting node defaults for all artists?

So that when they create the deadline_rop the base settings are set?

Thanks,

Dan
mrCatfish
The easiest way to do this is to “Save a permanent defaults” to $HSITE. However, you will have had to define $HSITE somewhere/somehow in your pipeline.

So you HOUDINI_PATH might look like this:

$HOME/houdini18.5:$HSITE/houdini:$HFS/houdini

… and thus the defaults stored in $HSITE will override the default ones.

Sean
jsmack
Permanent defaults are convenient but are impossible to version control and make it very difficult to debug since they are ‘the default’ there's no way to get the real default anymore–even for super users. I would limit their use to nodes that don't change very often that are not critical pipeline components.

My preferred alternative is to define shelf tools for creating pipelined nodes. This way the vanilla nodes can still be created for reference/debug purposes, and may be hidden from normal users if needed.

The shelf tools can live in a package or otherwise be in the houdini path.

For example, create a tool called ‘Studio Farm Bro’, and in the script section have it create a deadline rop or other node, and configure it as needed. The users will see “Studio Farm Bro” in their tab menu and invoking it will create the customized node(s).
mrCatfish
jsmack
Permanent defaults are convenient but are impossible to version control and make it very difficult to debug since they are ‘the default’ there's no way to get the real default anymore–even for super users. I would limit their use to nodes that don't change very often that are not critical pipeline components.
That's a very good point. For our farm nodes, I've actually just moved the default “Execute” button to an “Advanced” tab and replaced it with a new “Execute” button that calls a script to configure the interface before executing.
danwnewlands
Thanks for the information all, this is what we were thinking also but thought I'd check with the Houdini masses!

Thanks again peeps
martinkindl83
anyone would know how to use multiple Node Initialization scripts ?
Problem im facing is that for example Arnold comes with some Node Initialization scripts, thus killing my scrips for the same nodes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.