HE2/UE4 - Reading Asset Reference from ObjectMerge/Geo-Input

3861   4   1
36 posts
Hey!

I was wondering if it's possible with HE2 to get the Asset Reference String from an Asset that is inserted in an exposed Object Merge input?

Usually when you want to instance with points, you need to set the @unreal_instance attribute.
Therefore we need to pass that string from Unreal to Houdini via right-click -> copy asset reference.

It would be great to have a geometry input in an HDA, assign a static mesh (or whatever) and read the asset reference string from that (via an attribute or something)

Does that already work? Or wouldn't it be a great addition to additionally get the reference as attribute?

Thanks!
Best regards,
Ron
36 posts
Nobody?
36 posts
Never mind!
I found it - there's an attribute unreal_input_asset_name that does the trick!
1 posts
hello~ Ron!I am a newbie to houdini ,I was ran into the same question as your!Would you mind to show me more detail about " unreal_input_asset_name that does the trick"

Thanks for your time!
36 posts
Hi!

Yes, when you assign multiple assets from Unreal to a Houdini Input you will get a "unreal_input_asset_name" prim attribute for each asset. You can use this to split the assets in Houdini after they got merged when input.

Same goes for single input assets.
I used this to let the user assign an asset from Unreal and use it's prim attribute to set unreal_instance point attributes for spawning.

Hope that helps!
Best regards!
Edited by ron281279 - May 25, 2021 12:01:10
  • Quick Links