How to export multiple instances of the same object?

1732   2   0
9 posts
I've just finished my first procedural building generator in Houdini and it's turned out great. I'd like to copy instances of the building (with variations) several times in a scene. This is not a problem. However, I'd like to export each building as a separate obj. file. In addition to this, the building has several parts that are different materials. I'd also like to export each of these individually as well (or somehow keep them separate when I import to Blender). How can I achieve this? I'm a little lost but that's why I'm asking you guys!

I can attach the .hip but it's very messy considering I've just started.
7741 posts
The alembic format is most convenient for exporting a scene with multiple objects that have individual components.

The scene can be further broken up beyond the objects in it by using attributes to partition the geometry in each object, or a path attribute can completely overwrite the hierarchy by specifying it directly.

When importing the alembic into blender, the hierarchy will be visible in the scene graph tree.
9 posts
I only have Houdini Apprentice Edition. I'm not sure if that will export in alembic. If not, any other ideas?
  • Quick Links