Search - User list
Full Version: How to emit geometry while making it expand?
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » How to emit geometry while making it expand?
EdwinCarlCapalla
Hello, I am trying to re-create an effect from a ManvsMachine video [vimeo.com]. Time stamp (00.07 - 00.09)
I followed a Entagma [www.youtube.com] tutorial since it was the closest thing I could find, so far I can emit circles but they are not 'expanding'. How would I achieve this effect?

So far this is what my setup looks like,
mestela
This kinda thing?
EdwinCarlCapalla
mestela
This kinda thing?
omg this is amazing, definitely going to look into it on how you did everything.

Thanks for answering my question!
EdwinCarlCapalla
mestela
This kinda thing?

Hi Man, Thanks again for the help.

May I ask, how does @v = @P work? I'm a bit confused on how just by making the vector equal the points position, is responsible for making the rings expand.
BabaJ
EdwinCarlCapalla
May I ask, how does @v = @P work? I'm a bit confused on how just by making the vector equal the points position, is responsible for making the rings expand.

That's because the points position is really a vector to world origin - hence it can be treated like a direction.
Hope I don't sound condenscending but just do a bit of research in math on the topic of vectors in math:

In the example hip you were given the circle starts with a radius of one - so the @P will be already 'normalized'.

Try the example with the circle say at a scale of 50 and use the same @v = @P, then look at the results with @v = normalize(@P). Or even then try @v = @P * 50.

Hopefully with your reference to some math topic you found you might get a better understanding of vectors - direction and magnitude, and take advantage of looking at a points position in terms of being a vector too - you can be more 'creative' in your work.
EdwinCarlCapalla
BabaJ
That's because the points position is really a vector to world origin - hence it can be treated like a direction.
Hope I don't sound condenscending but just do a bit of research in math on the topic of vectors in math:

In the example hip you were given the circle starts with a radius of one - so the @P will be already 'normalized'.

Try the example with the circle say at a scale of 50 and use the same @v = @P, then look at the results with @v = normalize(@P). Or even then try @v = @P * 50.

Hopefully with your reference to some math topic you found you might get a better understanding of vectors - direction and magnitude, and take advantage of looking at a points position in terms of being a vector too - you can be more 'creative' in your work.

Not at all, I appreciate all the help I can get. I'll research more about the topic you mentioned. Do you have any references/recommendations I can read?

Thanks for the explanation!
BabaJ
EdwinCarlCapalla
Do you have any references/recommendations I can read?

No, but since it is a very basic prinicple in math just do a search with - Math vectors magnitude direction.

And you will find a load of references. You might want to play in Houdini with some add/line and wrangle nodes trying and seeing the differences between multiplying and adding vectors, and more or else visualizing the concepts of the references you find.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.