Search - User list
Full Version: Can I use redshift noise in a SOP as a displacer?
Root » Houdini Lounge » Can I use redshift noise in a SOP as a displacer?
pfistar
Greetings all!

I’d like to know if it’s possible to pipe any one of the Maxon noises into a SOP node in order to displace geometry on a mesh (rather than having Redshift handle the displacement at render time).

I need to do this for the following reason:
Maxon/Redshift has the specific noise I want (don’t want to spend a lot of time trying to replicate or approximate using one of the SOP noises).
I will need to generate vine growth along the object I will be displacing with noise, so unless I’m mistaken, using render-time displacement is not an option.
If there’s some workaround to this I haven’t considered, please enlighten me!!!

Preemptive thanks for any responders!
NpF
jsmack
Not possible. Redshift is only a renderer and doesn't interface with Houdini's editing tools in any way. Maxon/Redshift would need to deliver these nodes as vex compatible ones to be used in SOPs. If they did they would also be available to Mantra. It seems unlikely that they would do so.

Edit:
As a possible work around, the specific pattern could be rendered on a card and used as a texture map with a texture read node in sops.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.