Changing/Overriding Materials Using Geo Spread Sheet

1914   4   2
72 posts
I've bought a model and imported it into into my scene. It has more 1000 object! It is impossible for me to change the material for each object with this number. I tried to change to assign new materials to the based on the materials groups. But old materials keeps appearing in the rendered view. I thought maybe I can re-assign the materials using the geo spread sheet. But I am not sure if I can do that.

Appreciate your advice and support.
191 posts
Do you know how the material is getting assigned?

Is this one object node with materials assigned by using the shop_materialpath attribute? Or many object nodes assigning the material on the main object's geometry node in the Render tab > Material slot?
731 posts
Try opfind. Open a textport (alt shift t), and if your material is called "foo" you would type "opfind foo". This tells you all the objects referencing "foo".

Now if you want to change it to "fum":

opchange foo fum

Sean
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
8531 posts
usually you want to manage this on SOP level (assuming you are not using LOPs yet)
bring in alembic containing 1000's of objects, keep them as packed alembic
generate primitive s@shop_materialpath attribute containing path to corresponding material based on s@path attribute for example, in such case it's helpful to have material in the name of the object
or alternatively use Material SOP to assign materials more manually, which will also create s@shop_materialpath attribute
then each packed alembic primitive should render with it's own assigned material
Edited by tamte - March 18, 2021 11:30:41
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
72 posts
Thanks everyone. I imported the model as OBJ and it was easier to assign the materials by groups and selection via geo spreadsheet.

Thanks again,
  • Quick Links