Fast disk and slow cache load

3064   3   2
7 posts
Hi, in my computer I have disk M.2 with read speed up to 3500 MB/s. My cache (which is fluid mesh) takes 1600 MB of space for 230 frames and when I hit play I need 45 seconds instead of 10 seconds to see the whole animation. Any idea why?

I thought that maybe it's because of viewport but the mesh is 1 million polygons at the peak and my graphics card is nvidia quadro m4000.
Edited by mikolaj - March 19, 2021 05:52:43
856 posts
Your cache is read, processed, loaded into ram, then gpu memory, displayed. All of this takes time. Some of this you can investigate with the performance monitor.
Edited by Soothsayer - March 19, 2021 07:31:25
--
Jobless
7 posts
I have geometry saved on disk and I use FileCache node to read it directly. My disk should be fast enough to load this animation in 1 second.

If I switch to Geometry Spreadsheet then going through 230 frames takes around 17 seconds. Strange that such simple geometry is too complex to handle by my graphics card. I was also hoping that in Geometry Spreadsheet I will go thorough all frames in real time.

If anyone would like to share with me the ideas on how can I improve the performance of my PC, I would be very grateful.
Edited by mikolaj - March 19, 2021 08:18:19
900 posts
To the more technical guys here: does geometry spreadsheet cause an overhead too because it's asking to update and display all the values? A bit like printing something out to console?

Also, does your cached geo have many additional attributes?
You can try to delete them and see if that improves a bit the playback.
  • Quick Links