Scatter Node - Non Random Point Order broken?

3147   3   0
2 posts
Hello,

I've been working on a setup that is using pscale attributes for copying geometry to points, driven from scatter sops + wrangles etc. I'm working in H18.5, and I've noticed that for some reason when the 'Randomize Point Order' check box is off, my point numbers are still reordering in my setup. Am I missing something here?

I've attached a video to hopefully show the issue.

The scatter is incrementally adding points via Frame number, and seems like it just won't keep consistent point numbers. it is currently scattering on a static surface, Timeshift1 above it is set to Frame 1. This is resulting in popping scales when I copy to points down the line.

Any help appreciated!

- Seiji

Attachments:
2021-03-27 22-31-30.mp4 (3.5 MB)

900 posts
Hello,
if you do it inside a Sop Solver it will work.
Have a look at the file

Attachments:
scatter_over_time.hiplc (79.6 KB)

2 posts
Thanks Andr!

Really strange we have to use that workaround. I literally just tested this on an older version and the point numbers do not jitter with the same exact setup as shown in the video. I tried reporting this as a bug to sideFX and was told it was working as intended, which clearly doesn't seem to be the case.
8532 posts
it seems to be scattering independently per primitive

- so if you have only 1 primitive, the points will be stable
- if you have 2+ primitives points will be stable on first one
on the rest they will be ordered based on primitive order, so all points on second primitive will be ordered after all points on first, etc
so if new point is generated on primitive n, all points on primitives n+ will shift indices
- it's just an observation that may not help you with your issue, but may very well be an intention as it has certain logic
for example if they are generated multithreaded per primitive and then joined they may have this behavior, not sure if thats the case, but something like that would explain it
Edited by tamte - April 9, 2021 01:08:29
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links