Simulation exploding on impact

2433   2   0
3 posts
Hey all! Apologies if this is in the incorrect section of the forum!

Forewarning, I am a huge newbie to Houdini and am still learning Houdini..

So, I've managed to create a working car crash simulation where the object impacts a static object. However for the scene I am working on, the vehicle needs to crash through the wall (testing it as a wall, it will change to a building once I've worked out what I'm doing).

So as a basic setup, I've created a fractured wall and have imported it into the DOP network as packed geometry. I seem to have figured out how to have both the wall and the vehicle to simulate together, however within a frame or 2 of impact the wall and the vehicle explode. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? Have I setup the network incorrectly?

Any information is hugely appreciated, I'm currently hitting my head against a wall trying to get this whole thing working
Edited by rashedalmetrami - April 11, 2021 20:35:45

Attachments:
01.png (123.8 KB)
02.png (742.4 KB)
3.png (1.6 MB)

Staff
356 posts
You have 2 ridigbodysolvers in your setup. That won't work as you expect it to. You really want to merge the 2 rbd packed objects and feed them into a single rigidbodysolver. Add your wall constraints to the car constraints too.

Make sure you don't have any name overlaps between the wall and the car pieces.
3 posts
Thank you! Cleaning up the DOP Network like you mentioned, and also scaling down the assets in the simulation done the trick!
  • Quick Links