Material instance for landscapes

1186   2   2
16 posts
Is there a way to generate a material instance for a landscape coming out of Houdini?

I've been using the detail attribute "unreal_material_instance" (as per the docs [www.sidefx.com]) but for landscapes it doesn't automatically create a material instance from the given material in Unreal like it does for a static mesh.

Ideally I'd like to take an Unreal landscape as an input for my HDA, generate a new material instance with different parameters (textures, etc.) and output that landscape with the new material instance to Unreal.

I have created a simple HDA to test it all, it switches between 4 objects:
  • Heightfield
  • Heightfield from a file
  • Static mesh
  • Landscape input from Unreal

Then an attribute wrangle assigns the detail attribute "unreal_material_instance" or "unreal_material" and outputs that to Unreal (see attached).

Only the static mesh correctly generates a new material instance and changes its specular parameter. The landscapes created from the heightfields use the material directly and the landscape passed from Unreal has its material unchanged.

Is there any way to do this? HDA attached, any help is appreciated, thanks.

Attachments:
LandscapeTestHDA.hda (39.9 KB)
Screenshot_2021-04-12-18-28-57.png (100.8 KB)
Screenshot_2021-04-12-18-26-31.jpg (243.9 KB)
Screenshot_2021-04-12-18-25-28.jpg (469.2 KB)
Screenshot_2021-04-12-18-25-44.jpg (312.1 KB)
Screenshot_2021-04-12-18-27-26.jpg (349.1 KB)

25 posts
Hi!

I would like to do this same thing, this seems like a clear bug. Have you reported this as a bug to support?
16 posts
Eetu_Mainframe
Hi!

I would like to do this same thing, this seems like a clear bug. Have you reported this as a bug to support?

Hey, I have not reported it yet, I might do that later.
  • Quick Links