Houdini Engine in R24

3086   11   3
226 posts
I noticed that the Houdini Engine wasn't listed in the extensions menu for R24. Is SideFX taking over development of the C4D Engine bridge?
459 posts
I really hope so!

-b
http://www.racecar.no [www.racecar.no]
10 posts
Just noticed this as well, their Houdini integration page is gone from their website too ....
2 posts
I also am wondering about this. At first, C4D was the golden child showing the power and ease of use of HDAs. We started using HDAs at work when 3DS Max and Unreal gained support as a way to create tools that work the way our team wanted to work. Soon it became apparent that the C4D version was missing some features with importing splines that made it hard to do all the things we wanted to do with it. I really do hope this is a case of SideFX taking it back over and planning on bringing it inline feature-wise again. I would hate to think Maxon making their own Nodes would be a reason to kill such a useful feature. This interoperability is truly a strength for both Maxon and SideFX. Though it seems Maxon has not been doing it justice in the last few releases and now conspicuously left it out for S24. I hope they can make a formal statement as having the rug pulled out from under us with no notice is not very professional for either party.
2 posts
Well, Maxon support got back to me. It is dead on Maxon's end. Not sure if SideFX plans to pick it up. But it sounds like too few of us found it useful, so that is probably the end of the line for it.
459 posts
That's too bad!

-b
226 posts
Yeah, one of their devs had mentioned to me that very few people were using it, and I think that's because the latest Houdini version was rarely supported - and if they'd consistently be 6-12+ months behind the SideFx devs, there was no incentive to implement it into the pipeline.

If SideFx were to maintain it in parallel with their production builds, I think there'd be a much greater interest - especially if they can implement that live-link toolset they've been using with Unreal. I'd love to have Cinema & Houdini open at the same time - tweak a parameter in H, and have it immediately show up in Cinema.
Edited by Luke Letellier - May 4, 2021 11:22:17
459 posts
Maxons delayed support of the current Houdini production build was our main reason for not building Assets for C4D. I really hope Sidefx picks up the development of a solution for Cinema.

-b
2 posts
Luke Letellier
Yeah, one of their devs had mentioned to me that very few people were using it...
I love it when I hear that excuse...No one ever asked me or my team!
2 posts
There is a reason why not many people were using it. We constantly had to make 2 separate version of HDA. One for 3dsmax, ue4 n other for c4d as plugin didn't support all the features. We had make workaround for c4d plugin to get some our HDA stuff.
Really hope sidefx teams picks it up.
1 posts
I also liked using Houdini engine in C4D.
I found a temporary solution that works, you just need to recover the files from Houdini engine in the R23 version of cinema4D, if you still have it installed. there are two folders in "Maxon Cinema 4D R23 \ resource \ modules" "houdiniconfig" and "houdiniengine" as well as two "xdl64" in corelibs of the same name.
You just have to place them in the same place in s24 and the scenes which use Houdini engine will work again.

The problem and you will realize it is that the Houdini plug-in no longer appears in the extension section, you can search in "command customization" but you will only find the configuration extensions.

The solution I found is to create a layout in R23 with a Houdini engine tab and import it into S24, there you will see that it works! you can now import assets.

Here I hope I didn't help some
2 posts
I always find that maxon did a really poor job on the integration:
- The latest release in production were never supported.
- The plugin had an extremely slow update cycle.
- Feature wise half of the engine capacity could work. Curves were totally forgotten
It kinda remind me the painful days where autodesk was in charge of integrating mental ray inside maya.

I do hope that SESI will take the power back on Hengine integration in C4D, because unlike maxon pretend, there is a huge number of motion designer who have to import their fx into C4D base pipeline.
Edited by fantome - Aug. 5, 2021 06:10:38
  • Quick Links