udim stacked

2887   8   1
8 posts
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Udim with Houdini,

I have downloaded a 3d model with texture maps
When checking the uv layout it looks like that :

looks to me that the second udim is on top of the first one?

Here are the diffuse maps :

Anyone knows how to "unpack" the udims?

Thank you
Edited by Anissa_s - May 4, 2021 14:57:41

Attachments:
diffuse.jpg (12.1 MB)
UvLayout.jpg (94.8 KB)

8531 posts
from your screenshots it looks like it's not built as UDIMs, but most probably you have 2 different groups of geo each with it's own 0-1 UV layout and is using material with different map
if you can isolate both you can easily shift the uv attribute and rename maps to represent UDIMs
there will most likely already be some group or path attribute on your geo that will help you isolate them as usually multiple objects from .obj or .abc come to Houdini as a single geo with groups/attributes when read in SOPs
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
8 posts
Hey Thomas,

Thanks for your answer,

I actually have several groups

Not sure which one matches which map though!:S

I am actually following a tutorial using this model and the instructor uses the maps as udim with it... Not sure why it doesn't work with my scene.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, I might isolate groups one by one to see what goes where and work as if it was 2 geos and 2 textures.

Thanks!

Attachments:
groups.jpg (287.0 KB)

8531 posts
it's likely there is some attribute for material you could use to split them or something that clearly separates one material from another
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
7740 posts
check the shop_materialpath attribute, if it's an obj or fbx it could come in with material assignments already.
8 posts
Hi Thomas and jsmack,

Thanks for your help on this,

I had a look, I might be still too beginner but I couldn't find any material_path or information relative to material assignment.
I ended up isolating the groups and separating in 2 main groups, one for mapA one for mapB.

took some time but setup is working now.

Thanks,
7740 posts
Gui_89
Hi Thomas and jsmack,

Thanks for your help on this,

I had a look, I might be still too beginner but I couldn't find any material_path or information relative to material assignment.
I ended up isolating the groups and separating in 2 main groups, one for mapA one for mapB.

took some time but setup is working now.

Thanks,

You didn't see shop_material path in the primitive section of the geometry spreadsheet? I saw on that assets store page that the obj comes with an mtl file. This indicates it was exported with materials. Although houdini can't read the mtl file, it will import the obj with the assignments as shop_materialpath.

The fbx should import with actual materials imported and assigned, if imported correctly.
8 posts
Hi,

Sorry no I didn't see any path material,
here is a screenshot of the spreadsheet in case.

Attachments:
SPREADSHEET.jpg (603.6 KB)

7740 posts
The path attribute is typically a primitive attribute, the screenshot only shows the point attributes. Ignoring that, importing an FBX with a file sop may not import material assignments. The import fbx dialog script should though.
  • Quick Links