OpenCL nodes freeze for 10+ seconds after computer upgrade

1293   1   0
54 posts
Having a strange problem. I recently upgraded my motherboard, cpu and ram. Houdini steams to work well normally but when I open some scenes I had been working on that loop over some black-box OpenCL nodes it freezes every frame update for ~11 seconds. It doesn't even show anything in the status bar and becomes unresponsive during this time. These same scenes took maybe 1 second before and wouldn't have this sort of blank no-status freeze issue.

If I make new opencl nodes they seem to work ok, maybe a little more freezing than before.

I'm at a loss as the computer seems to be working well otherwise. Checking my openCL settings it's set to use my gpu as it should be.

I tried updating drivers etc.
Any tips on how to track this issue down? Thanks!
54 posts
I think I solved the issue. Posting a follow up here incase it helps someone else.
I did a bunch of things, they probably aren't all necessary. I had upgraded my cpu, motherboard and ram.

1. did a 'upgrade in place' for windows 10.
2. re-installed all drivers, as well as Houdini and redshift
3. set TDR delay in the registry to 240, probably not needed.

At this point it was actually worse - Houdini would crash about 20 seconds after opening it each time. I'd open Houdini, place a sphere go to move the sphere and crash.

Searching around I discovered some people have an issue with a Nahimic service which is part of the audio drivers that are installed with some motherboards like my Asus / AMD board. As soon as I disabled this service Houdini worked again and the freezing delay that seemed to be happening with OpenCL nodes is gone!

Hope that helps someone!
  • Quick Links