Manually Capture Cloth for Rig

1874   3   1
46 posts
Struggling to find a way to do this.

If I have baggy clothes then point deform doesnt work very well. If I have cloth that is thick (double sided) I cannot get tet embed/ bone capturebiharmonic to work, which is the only way I know how to rig it.

I am looking for a node / way to either manually weight paint the cloth or a node that can capture double sided geometry.

Here is an example:

I just want to capture this tube to Tommys waist. I don't want to use point deform.

The only way I know how to capture cloth is this:

As you see the capturing errors out, presumably because the tets dont intersect with the bones.

How would I rig this up?

Thanks.
Edited by SB26 - June 28, 2021 04:45:26

Attachments:
A.jpg (220.2 KB)
B.jpg (228.7 KB)

46 posts
Maybe I am not being clear with what I am asking.

If I have cloth I want to capture to a (kinefx) rig, then how would I do that without using tet embed/conform, nor point deform?
Staff
2540 posts
Have you tried using the Bone Capture Proximity SOP?
Just feed in the tube skirt geo into the left input and the KineFX skeleton into the right input and you should get a decent set of weights on your geometry.

You can follow up with a Capture Layer Paint with a large brush set to Smooth Final (RMB in the viewport menu choose option for LMB or MMB).

Attachments:
capture_proximity_example.jpg (333.4 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
46 posts
old_school
Have you tried using the Bone Capture Proximity SOP?
That works perfectly, thanks a lot Old School! Very much appreciate it.

I had previously tried that sop but I was trying to feed bone capture lines into the second input which caused it to error out. Now I know not to do that.
  • Quick Links