No multi selection in the Tree View

2112   6   1
407 posts
Every time I run into this I'm baffled by the fact it's still not possible in Houdini to multi select objects in the Tree View.

This is only possible in the Node View, and even then the correct selection is not represented in the Tree View. When I select several nodes in the node view, only a single one is highlighted in the Tree View.

How great would it be to multi select several properties in the Tree View and edit them at the same time, without having to dive into one node at a time.

I always thought Maya was bad in this regard, but Houdini is maybe even worse.

Cheers,

R.
900 posts
that sounds something that needs to be fixed, maybe RFE it to the support?
407 posts
Andr
that sounds something that needs to be fixed, maybe RFE it to the support?

I suspect for something like this there might have been several RFE's submitted over the years, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,

R.
7750 posts
Yeah, kind of frustrating. There is 'list mode' for the node graph though, which can be set to show the list as a tree. This mode allows multi selections.
407 posts
jsmack
Yeah, kind of frustrating. There is 'list mode' for the node graph though, which can be set to show the list as a tree. This mode allows multi selections.

But that one only allows access to the top nodes. If you need to dive into the node it's useless because it switches to node view and you have to set it to list again.
4503 posts
I think this is a long requested feature. I don't use it as much to write a brand new node tree editor, though it's possible with Qt inside Houdini. Creating a reference blank tree view takes a lot of boiler plate code so be prepared to spend a lot of time on matching the same look and feel if you go this route.

Ideally SESI should provide their own pre-configured list view and tree view controls in Python HOM so you can focus on the actual logic of your tool rather than every TD reinventing the wheel (RFE submitted).
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
Staff
2540 posts
Nothing new that hasn't been mentioned above.
One of those annoying things if you use this to select multiple objects.
As mentioned above SHIFT-T to list mode. It is per network type and is just odd UX... but if all you want is to select objects in a list, use that.

Again submit RFE's any time. Duplicates are fine, especially this one that spans multiple releases.

Every release a part of Houdini's UI is improved either within our own UI development or moved over to QT. RFE is the key to get your ticket in.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links