Digital Domain Playa, Vancouver, and Montreal studios are looking for FX Loodev and FX Artists to start immediately!
*You must be in the US and Canada at the time of application.
Do reach out to Senior Recruiter Amy Quek, at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP and don't forget to share with your network!
Purpose of the job:
The FX Development (Dev) Artist works closely with the FX lead and FX TDs to create high quality effects
including rigid body and particle dynamics, volume modeling and rendering, procedural geometry
generation and fluid dynamics. The main focus of this role is to create set ups that can be used both
within their own shots, as well as that of others on the team. This is a senior position within the group
and as such the role requires a solid understanding of both the technical aspects of the role as well as
the artistic creation of FX Dev.
• Design and animate high quality, photo-real effects development (fire, smoke, explosions,
debris, clouds, etc) that meet all technical and aesthetic standards for the project in a way that
can be utilized by others on the team
• Work within the show structure and production deadlines to complete all tasks
• Work closely with FX Lead/Supervisor to ensure all effects will work smoothly within the show
• Produce look tests based on provided reference materials
• Take direction from FX Leads and FX Pipeline TDs as well as provide guidance and mentorship to
other FX Artists
Education and/or Experience Required:
• 7+ years experience as an FX Artist creating photo-real effects elements for feature films
• Degree in Animation, Arts, Fine Arts or equivalent production experience
• Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics a plus
• Expert knowledge of any/all of the following; rigid body and particle dynamics, volume modeling
and rendering, procedural geometry generation and fluid dynamics
• Strong understanding of physical dynamics and natural phenomena
• Production experience working in Houdini is required
• Working experience with one or more other professional software packages such as Maya, 3D
Studio Max, Nuke, or RealFlow is a plus
• Requires strong technical and communication skills within a show structure
• Firm understanding of effects production pipelines
• Python scripting is a plus